Single Exhaust replacement

KWIK9550

Founding Member
Jun 14, 1999
SOUTH BEND, IN
Can anyone help me out here? My exhaust broke at the intermediate pipe right before the muffler and is not repairable. I am looking for a replacement catback that I can bolt in place, but all I am finding aftermarket-wise is dual systems. Ford wants $900 just for a new catback, and there's no way in hell I'm paying that. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Not repairable? Any exhaust shop should be able to weld on a new flange. If the pipe is too thin or bent to do that, they can fab up a pipe for not much $.

You can avoid all that if you upgrade to a dual exhaust. Most of the kits out there cost half of that Ford replacement.
Most of the dual exhaust kits designed for the 3.8L come with an adaptor. You just bolt it to the back of the Y-pipe and take the included duals back from there.

There is debate as to whether you should eliminate the Y-pipe and install true duals (each cylinder bank goes back through its own cat and muffler with no mixing into the other side. The general consensus is that doing that will not gain you power (and may actually hurt your HP due to the loss of backpressure).

The factory Y-pipe maintains enough backpressure that any of the dual exhaust kits out there should make your car sound better and you might pick up a few horsepower too.

Not repariable? Any exhaust shop should be able to weld on a new flange. If the pipe is too thin or bent to do that, they can fab up a pipe for not much $.

You can avoid all that if you upgrade to a dual exhaust. Most of the kits out there cost half of that Ford replacement.
Most of the dual exhaust kits designed for the 3.8L come with an adaptor. You just bolt it to the back of the Y-pipe and take the included duals back from there.

There is debate as to whether you should eliminate the Y-pipe and install true duals (each cylinder bank goes back through its own cat and muffler with no mixing into the other side. The general consensus is that doing that will not gain you power (and may actually hurt your HP due to the loss of backpressure).

The factory Y-pipe maintains enough backpressure that any of the dual exhaust kits out there should make your car sound better and you might pick up a few horsepower too.

Not repariable? Any exhaust shop should be able to weld on a new flange. If the pipe is too thin or bent to do that, they can fab up a pipe for not much $.

+1

Take it to the nearest muffler shop. Avoid the big name muffler shops though.

+3

Like someone said earlier, even if the flow tube (part before the muffler) is destroyed, they can weld in a new one for a very cheap/afforable price. If its not cheap, go to another shop because you shouldnt have to pay an arm and a leg for this. Good luck! and keep us updated.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

I guess I should have been more specific with the reason why it's unrepairable. Where the flange is on the front side of the muffler, it's nothing more than a collaborration of rust. It appears as if there is a vent hole on the bottom front to let condensation out I'm guessing, and from there it has spread throughout the entire flange and up to the joint of the intermediate pipe.

I called my father's friend who owns a muffler shop and was quoted $200 for a new muffler and tailpipe (installed). Everywhere else I called was around the same price. Being someone who does all my own work on my cars, and knowing the Mustang aftermarket very well, I decided this was too much for just a muffler and tailpipe and figured there would be something on the market available to me.

The car is nothing more than a $300 daily driver (I got a steal on it), and I'm trying to put as little money into it as possible. I have no desire or need for dual exhaust or more power. If I get that notion, I'll just take my Cobra for a spin. I just figured with the size of the aftermarket, there would be more options than just dual exhaust, but I guess the market isn't big enough.

I was able to source all the parts online after an exhaustive (pun intended) search, and found all 3 parts for just under $80. I'll have to weld them up, but I have that skill and the tools, so it's not a problem. Once again, thanks to all who replied.

BTW, I stopped by the local dealer today just to check there prices and the catback replacement through Ford is $899.99:jaw: I then asked them about any FRPP options, and they're available for under $400, of course only in dual exhaust.