skunk21's project thread

Discussion in '1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-' started by skunk21, Nov 8, 2009.

1. skunk21

skunk21 Active Member

more progress. 3/4's of the car is in primer, working on hood and D/S door jamb area then going to hang new drivers door. next finish work on the fender and start blocking the primer and getting it towards paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. skunk21

skunk21 Active Member

finally an update from this past week. we stumbled on some rust under the door jamb seal on the d/s right where it curves down, about where the upper hinge height is. water must like to get stuck here because once we spotted it here we pulled back the rubber on the pass side and found it in the same spot. The pass side isn't that bad the drivers side needed a patch welded in. this was really the worst we had to deal with rust wise. The car should see paint on the jambs and under the hood this coming week and then prep will start on the bumpers, wing etc. I'm going to have the new windshield put in about that time and get here finaly ready for paint!!

pic showing the the rust near the upper hinge in the jamb
    [​IMG]

also patch needed to be welded in on the lower skirt area after the rust was taken out

[​IMG]

pass side same spot

[​IMG]

D/S fixed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

new pins for the hinge, seam sealer and prep work on the d/s door
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stripped the fender and fixing low spots, cleaned up the rockers and straightened the lip out from bad jacking..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

misc pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. hsean

hsean Member

great job thus far this thing is going to be brand new with all the new parts you've bought.

4. skunk21

skunk21 Active Member

LOL. yeah it's been a pretty good project and still will have some more to do later. I'm going to have to start talking to my insurance company again about agreed value and still have yet to decide on anti-theft. my garage is alarmed and the car will be with me 99% of the time so I'm thinking of a GPS based type system now that will track with police and my cell phone.

5. hsean

hsean Member

good idea i am thinking of doing the same thing when i get mine because i plan on driving mine to work and there are alot of cameras there too.

6. 50foxbody

50foxbody Member

what guage metal did you use to patch that im having the same problem on my passenger side

7. skunk21

skunk21 Active Member

next time I'm up at the shop I'll ask. My buddy did it, he cut out the upper plate to expose the actual jamb. then he sandblasted the jamb, and welded in a small repair on the jamb itself and used some type of primer to cover it. then made a new piece to tie into the hinge plate and fold over onto the jamb like the factory and welded that on. ground everything flush and got the lines back and then reprimed the whole jamb at it looks actory again. that is how he explained it to me, might have used a slightly larger gauge than say one used for patch but it looks factory and he doubled it up like factory so not too thick. If you wanted to just use 1 peice and tie into the hinge plate then go thick so it can support the door and beef op the jamb. If he just welded in a single patch with thin gauge I would think it tear after time.

8. BigmacK192

BigmacK192 New Member

She's looking sharp. Keep it up!

9. smokin joe

smokin joe Founding Member

Are the 93 cobra wheels real ones or reproductions?

10. skunk21

skunk21 Active Member

repos from LRS

11. 1990Coupe

1990Coupe Founding Member

Wow that matte white is sex!!! Nice progress on the car! :nice:

12. smokin joe

smokin joe Founding Member

Thanks.

it's looking good. Pearl White would be awesome.

13. skunk21

skunk21 Active Member

No pearl white, the white I chose is Ford Performance white. The fusion olor is nice until you get around a more pure white and then it starts to look really gray.

anways newest update..The pass side rust repair is finished and the jambs got color!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more updates later on next week.

14. Beasty306GT

Beasty306GT Active Member

sweet lookin good :nice:

15. SScott

SScott Powered by LORD

It is looking really good!

16. skunk21

skunk21 Active Member

^^^thanks guys!

17. skunk21

skunk21 Active Member

another update. progress on going. installed the drivers door and fender, worked on the lines and the upper part of the door alignment needed some work to get it nice. In the end the lines are all dead on and looking good. found litle bits of surface rust under the stock seam sealer nothing that popped through but totally hidden to it was all stripped it and taken down. new seam sealer applied and primed.

At this point now all of the body is DONE! next week going to start blocking and getting the body ready for paint and prepping the new bumpers, etc also. The end is getting ever closer yet still much to be done.

some new pics..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. SScott

SScott Powered by LORD

Nice job on those gaps! I bet that took a long time!

19. skunk21

skunk21 Active Member

It has been awhile since the last update. The shop has been real busy and so have I with my sons graduation and some other stuff. The underside of the hatch is painted along with the jamb & rear section of the car. I spent alot of time myself cleaning every square inch of the rear panel and bumper support, priming and sanding to get it perfect. I took a couple of pic real quick and they are about 2wks old..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just got back to it the middle of last week since they are still busy. They gave me a hand putting the hatch back on but I spent a serious amount of time getting the hatch lines prefect has they can be. The hatch sat a little low at the roof line before which I think alot of them do. I looked at a few of them during recent car show and noticed how the hatch fits the opening and went from there to improve on the factory. anyways I took it back off and made 2 stainless shims to raise it a little and opened the holes a touch so I could get a little more side/side adjustment. It now lines up just about perfect with the roof line and the sides are much better than factory and it seals up nice and tight :nice:. I have prepped all the ground effects got all the spider cracks in the paint out and inside the mustang letters :notnice: .

I also test fitted the new oem bumpers to see how they would look and found out yet I need to do some more work since my anal side keeps showing through. The front cover needs a little build up on the very top and some on the sides to match up to the lines of the front fenders and for some reason on the pass side of the rear bumper where the extension bolts on I have a slight gap at the very bottom wher it starts to flare out but It's fine on the drivers side. must be something with the mold :shrug: so I got to do some work and build up on that area also. I don't have any pics my son is using my camera on his trip and I haven't gotten it back yet but I will get some up asap. just wanted to keep the thread alive and let everyone who is following along know it's still ongoing. I'm jsut taking my time and making sure every square inch is touched, fixed and ready and getting all the lines near perfect. more updates soon.

:flag:

20. skunk21

skunk21 Active Member

I finished the ground effects up and they sprayed them. I decided not to use the new oem rear bumper I bought and I'm going to redo the stock oem bumper from my car. I can get it to work but I don't want to rework a new oem bumper when I know the old one fits perfect. I took a shot and didn't want to spend the added labor of stripping the old one but now I'm going to. The front I pretty much new I would have to build up the front edges a little since the old stock one didn't fit perfect anyway. They started blocking down the body and getting that ready in between jobs. next is going to be to pull the hood, remove all the seam sealer like we did for the hatch, clean the underside and paint it. finish prepping the body, I'll get the bumpers done and get this damn thing into paint soon! I'm still hoping for some summer drives in it :nice:

couple pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]