Sleeper or not?

• Sponsors (?)

My car will be done appearance-wise after i get a new hood, i thought about building a sleeper before i got my car, but then i bought this one with the cobra ground effects/saleen wing/tint/etc already on it, so i said F it, i'll just go with go AND show!!

I love sleepers. I hope to have one in the near future (while my car is pretty plain looking, 13.34 does not get me sleeper status yet).

If I can retain my mostly stock looks and run better than 12.5 I'll be confident that my car is a sleeper...and confident enough to try to take some people's money.

Caldwell said:
I have respect for the sleepers, it's just not my style.
:stupid: i have total respect for a sleeper, but its just not my style........but i dont like big body kits and such...a tastefull bumper like the cobra, a taseful hood like a cobra r, or cowl, and a tasteful spoiler like teh s281 is about as far as i would go....although saleen bodykits are sweet....... :D

i have the magnaflow cat-back with the huge rear tips connected to a loud exhaust ruins my sleeper status, in my opinion. I usually like function before i start with the outside. With my budget I don't know if I ever will. I like the Idea of a SC or Turbo.

I really like the 2000 cobra R look but second would be the cobra look. I change my mind many times and my pocket book doesn't think about it. I was thinking of the bullit rims but I'm not sure how they would look with cobra body panels.

I take that Cobra R statement back. I was just looking at the Cobra R bumpers for 94-98 and it doesn't fit. I also reduces my ground clearance so I would have to go exremely slow over steep entrances. That is not something I want to do. the saleen is a nice piece but may not be my style, I also kind of like the staker, but may also be to much show. Cobra may be the way to go. everything else screams rice an just looks cheesy.

What about this combo for a sleeper:

Cobra front bumper
347 CHP motor NA
Bassani Exhaust (catted-X and catback)
1 1/4" lowering w/full suspension upgrade
17x9 silver wheels w/275s all around
Maybe a Cobra R Hood (dark green body color, so hood detail is diminished)
I've got Corbeau seats, so maybe that doesn't help at all, but they're nice!

I took on an early 70s Vette a few months ago at a stoplight which led to an wide open and straight highway. When that light went green, I took off about as good as possible and by the time I hit 2nd gear, he was probably 5 cars ahead of me. I stopped at third and he was too many cars ahead to count. At the next light several miles away, we talked and he admitted he had a 383 along with a very quiet exhaust. I thought this would be no big deal, cause the guys car looked oldish and it was real quiet. OMG, he kicked my butt big time but I loved it. The guy smiled and asked how I liked his sleeper Vette. It was very cool and convinced me that I want to go that route.

I'm slowly achieving sleeper status. I want to retain as much of the stock engine that you can see. I think when I'm done I'll have the stock waffles widened an inch in the back with some nittos so it looks like a weekend warrior. I'm not going to clame sleeper status till I have a 7(1/8th) second timeslip though. I figure I'm doing pretty good so far. All the mustangs I've seen at the track are half a second slower than me and a down a couple on the mph save one, and he's running 7's... I feel I'm into the stock lt1 territory now. I know there are lots of people running these times here on the boards, but where I'm at, I have seen only 1 mustang run faster than mid/low 9's and read the quick 8 times on another... Considerably quicker than me, but still. At the friday night fun and grudge some of the people asked if I was using nitrous... I took it as a compliment...

Car Nut said:
What about this combo for a sleeper:

Cobra front bumper
nope

347 CHP motor NA
yes

yes

nope

nope

nope

Caldwell said:
Cobra front bumper
nope

347 CHP motor NA
yes

yes

nope

nope

nope

what are your reasons behind these answers :)

Caldwell said:
nope

Or Opal Frost. I have the Cobra R hood and the detail is like super deminished. Compared to other cars I've seen with it, you have to be right on it to see the hoodlines.... :shrug: It almost looks like the "Baby R" hood, lol...and I almost wish it was more noticable.

I would not want a sleeper. I want my car to get attention and to be noticed it and that does not happen w/ the sleeper look. I see enough Mustangs around w/ stock rims and stock body parts, I want to be diffrent not like the rest of them. I want people to think..... hey he put some time/effort/money into that stang. Just not to be another ho hum everyday Mustang that everyone see's

I dunno man, whenever I think sleeper...
I think completely bone stock appearance...

as soon as you start slapping on a bumper (especially a cobra one)
and rims... lowering it...
people are going to know that you have modded the engine to some degree.

Take this car for instance:

647643_1_full.jpg

Now if this car actually WENT 11 seconds in the 1/4 mile, i would then consider this car, a sleeper :D