Slimy Oil Found in Cylinder #3??

Soon2beBlown

Nov 15, 2003
Well after pulling my upper intake off I noticed a bunch of oil caked on the walls to the port for the #3 cylinder. Then I pulled the lower off and the oil all the way through the port inside the cylinder head.(only on # 3) How is the oil getting in there? I checked the lower intake gasket and that wasn't the source. The only possibilities I could think of would be #1-piston ring, #2 headgasket, #3 valve seal. I'm only finding this oil on the 3rd cylinder, theres not even a small bit on any of the other cylinders. Any input on whats going on is greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Soon2beBlown said:
Well after pulling my upper intake off I noticed a bunch of oil caked on the walls to the port for the #3 cylinder. Then I pulled the lower off and the oil all the way through the port inside the cylinder head.(only on # 3) How is the oil getting in there? I checked the lower intake gasket and that wasn't the source. The only possibilities I could think of would be #1-piston ring, #2 headgasket, #3 valve seal. I'm only finding this oil on the 3rd cylinder, theres not even a small bit on any of the other cylinders. Any input on whats going on is greatly appreciated.

First thing I would do is a compression test to see if that cylinder read's low. If it does; then it's time to a leak down test. I kinda doubt just one single valve stem seal decided to let go. I'm willing to bet broken ring, damaged ring-land, etc. Best of luck to you & hopefully a it's just a minor repair!