Sloppy Steering After Mm Hybrid Install

Black1987

my wife Bedazzled my input shaft
15 Year Member
Jan 9, 2011
NC
So just installed a 03/04 Cobra (remanufactured ZM from Ford), Hybrid MM Shaft torqued initially to 25ft lbs then to 60 ft lbs, new ball joints, tie rods, and bushings. Car is aligned also.

Now I have a inch of play in either direction and a sense of vibration at the end of play. However, after the play, its is firm and responsive.

I have checked
The two problematic bolts on the column
Rechecked everything is torqued to spec
Even went back and made sure the pinch bolt was installed in the correct orientation
I checked the sleeve and the bearing in the column and they appeared to be in good working order.

The only odd thing is when turning the wheel the shaft turns with it, but doesn't seem to have enough torque to more the wheels in the play.

Am I missing something?

• Sponsors (?)

So just installed a 03/04 Cobra (remanufactured ZM from Ford), Hybrid MM Shaft torqued initially to 25ft lbs then to 60 ft lbs, new ball joints, tie rods, and bushings. Car is aligned also.

Now I have a inch of play in either direction and a sense of vibration at the end of play. However, after the play, its is firm and responsive.

I have checked
The two problematic bolts on the column
Rechecked everything is torqued to spec
Even went back and made sure the pinch bolt was installed in the correct orientation
I checked the sleeve and the bearing in the column and they appeared to be in good working order.

The only odd thing is when turning the wheel the shaft turns with it, but doesn't seem to have enough torque to more the wheels in the play.

Am I missing something?
Defective product?:shrug:

Seems like the slop is in the rack. From others peoples experience (that i've read) when switching to these 03/04 Cobra racks is that the steering wheel dead zone is greatly reduced but not completely eliminated. Maybe it depends on the quality of the rebuild for the rack? Some others thought the column bearing looked good but replaced it anyway and it improved the the steering response a noticeable amount.

Might just replace the sleeve and bearing to eliminate it from the equation.

But to reiterate I don't think its slop in the rack...yet. Main reason, is It appears to turn the shaft and wheel in the play but not enough to move the rack. If the rack was moving too in the play I would agree completely.

Maybe I'll try to reinstall the connection from the shaft to the rack to ensure its seated fully again.

I had to replace nearly all of my reman parts within 6 months of my rebuild. Love spending money twice.
Eff that noise. Fortunately O'reilly had lifetime warranty. Except the last alternator - they were out of stock and chrged me $44 for the next level up.... Which id bet a nut that it came from the same factory in Mexico.

Reactions: 1 users
Well I'll check the shaft, rack, and everything whenever it stop raining here, or a day when I leave for work its dark and when I come back its not dark for once smh. . Hopefully this weekend.

Has anyone else notice that remanufactured racks for SP-ZK go for more than the SP-ZMs. You would think the Cobra one would cost more, but the reviews for the SP-ZK have better reviews too. Odd

Fixed it, I put paint marks on the top and bottom of the shaft to see any slippage. Wife watched it, turns out it was the pinch bolt from the firewall shaft.

Reactions: 1 users