Sloppy Steering - Need Advice

67coupe

Founding Member
Apr 5, 2002
Huntsville, AL
Here is the setup: These have been replaced or installed in the last 20,000 miles

MM Coil Overs with Bilsteins
MM CC Plates
MM Tubular Arms
Replacement steering rack and tie rods

Had the car aligned to MM specs approx. 4,000 miles ago. The steering is still sloppy. It feels the worst when changing directions. In fact, I can move the wheel 1.5 to 2 inches left to right with no effect on the direction the car is travelling.

I'm thinking about getting the MM steering shaft. When I replaced the rack, the rag joint looked pretty suspect. I think most of the play is here.

Anyone have the MM shaft...or any aftermarket shaft that eliminates the rag joint? How is the NVH (noise vibration harshness)? How is the steeing response? Worth $200?

What about header clearance? I'm thinking of upgrading to BBK long tubes. Anyone using the MM shaft with long tubes?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

How much slack are in the tie rod joints and universal & flex joint steering shaft couplers?

The universal and flex joint steering shaft couplers can be inspected with the car parked on the ground. With the engine off, have a helper rock the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect the universal and flex joint steering shaft couplers for excessive slack. You'll need a sharp eye and a strong light to do a good job.

Support the car on jackstands with the jackstands placed as close to the wheel as possible. With the steering locked, have a helper try to move each front wheel just like it would move if you turned the steering wheel. While they are rocking the wheels, you are under the car watching for slack in the tie rods.

I can't comment on the aftermarket steering shafts. But, for $8 and a few minutes time, a new rag joint is an easy fix and will make a world of difference. You can always upgrade the shaft, but a new rag joint will keep you safe in the mean time. Plus, if you fix it and still have your play, you'll know your problem is somewhere else.