Slower Et's W Exhaust Cutouts?

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
So upon doing a search on exhaust cutouts I read that some have reported going slower w em open. Do any of y'all have any experience with em positive or negative? I realize they're no miracle it just not wanna be the quietest guy at the track I guess.

• Sponsors (?)

Unless you are running a seriously pimped engine your low end will suffer. They greatly diminish the scavenging effect that is needed to promote good flow.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an exhaust cutout coming off my down pipe. I have never been to the track with it, but when it's open there's probably a 30-40 HP gain. Then again, my mustang is turbocharged. Cutouts do sound awesome though.

i cant understand how cutouts can make it slower, but the evidence is there. on a tuned exhaust like a snowmachine or chainsaw, i can totally see how the pulses will reflect back, the bounce off the exhaust port and if the timing is right at the right rpm, it vacuums out the cylinder. i dont see it on a standard exhaust system though. i also dont buy into the "you need backpressure" thing. how can backpressure possibly help, especially with valve timing overlap. i had a cutout on my ls1 f.body with the qtech opener valve. it went from dead quiet to loud as hell at the touch of a button, which is very cool.

Don't fall into the back pressure trap. The h abd x pipes on our cars are there to do exactly what you described. Tune the exhaust pulses and promote scavenging. Running open header with a cut out ruins that.

Don't fall into the back pressure trap. The h abd x pipes on our cars are there to do exactly what you described. Tune the exhaust pulses and promote scavenging. Running open header with a cut out ruins that.
Right now the current exhaust set up is pretty basic. Stock h pipe, pre-cats removed, reg cats replaced w high flows, and forza flow mufflers.

Cutouts are loud, but don't confuse that with sounding good.
They are really good if you want your car to sound like a 40 year old farm truck that the owner is too cheap to replace the muffler that fell off.

Reactions: 1 user
Cutouts are loud, but don't confuse that with sounding good.
They are really good if you want your car to sound like a 40 year old farm truck that the owner is too cheap to replace the muffler that fell off.
That old truck better not have a catatytic convertor either. But for the same grass fire reasons it needs some muffler or at least pipe the exhaust end away from the ground. A good backfire and his pasture is on fire.
I was thinking do not found like a POJ, rusty, muffler less Camaro.