Small Block Front Timing Cover...Help

grego37

May 12, 2004
Fresno CA
On my 289/302/351w front timing cover, there are 2 areas where I always have a little coolant/water. Whenever i run the car and get back home there is a little coolant in the deep well type areas of the front cover (1 on each side) not much, just a table spoon or so. All my gaskets are good, so it shouldnt be the gaskets. I cleaned it out with a rag, and with my finger i can feel a boss or possibly factory hole 1/8 - 1/4" on each side,(back side of waterpump) and this would explain my issue.

can fill these holes with jb weld?
is this a factory thing?
are they some type of weep hole or something?
does something breathe from there?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

if it's the boss i'm thinking of, the water pump bolts into those, there are 3 of them across the top of the timing cover.

it actually sounds like your timing cover is warped or corroded to the point that it's porous enough to allow coolant to seep through.

Your intake manifold may be leaking coolant as well. There is a coolant crossover passage at the front of the manifold, and if the manifold is installed incorrectly )gaskets reversed or torn) or the bolts are not torqued properly it will leak and fill up those little "wells".

On my 289 I was having a similar issue. coolant fluid on the top surface of the timing chain cover. Like you mention the "wells". At one point it suddenly got worse on the freeway. I started getting some fluid on the windshield. I pulled over and had it towed home. There was a hole corroded through the timing chain cover. I was in a dillema because I was supposed to be on my way to LA (2hours away). I bought some of the new version of JB weld. It is supposed to cure faster. But the label still says cure for 4 hour and wait overnight till use. I didn't have that kind of time. So after about a little over an hour and application of a heat gun. I left for LA and it has worked fine. Soon I will replace the cover anyway but if you do have a hole that needs to be patched JB weld will do the trick, in my experience.

its no gasket issue. I can actually see a bubble of fluid come out of the hole every minute or so, after i drive and shut the car off.
I am filling the holes/boss area and the floors of the reservoior areas with jb weld as we speak.
thanks
done...............