Smog/ac Delete - Why Use The Delete Pulley?

Discussion in '1994 - 1995 Specific Tech' started by 5.0 Ford Guy, Jul 5, 2013.

1. The smog delete tech article I have found states you need the smog delete pulley. Would it not be cheaper to just buy a shorter belt? I did this on my 90 Fox 5.0. I removed the AC and smog stuff and never used either delete kit. I am just curious why people use them???
  2. Some people consider that the short belt increases the load on the alternator bearings.
    I installed a short belt. Everything is OK.
  3. I never had a problem either on my '90. Does anyone have dimensions for the hole locations for the smog plates on the back of the heads? I plan to make a couple block-off plates at work. Do you use a gasket under those?
  4. Hmm. I didn't know those holes were threaded. Why couldn't you just screw a bolt in instead then?
  5. You can, it just doesn't look as good. I deleted my smog and ran a shorter belt.

6. Smog_pump_delete.jpg Smog_AC_delete.jpg
    I've used a shorter belt after deleting the smog pump, and an even shorter belt after deleting the AC, with no issues at all.
  7. If you use the routing diagram bullit95 listed. The first one says a 90.2" belt, well its actually 88.5" if you have UD pulleys.