Smog pump removal....

Im looking to take the smog pump off my car using the ford smog pump removal kit and i was wondering how hard it is to do this?? Keep in mind im not worried about emmisions either. Also what kind of power increase will this give me, i know it wont be too much but anything is better than nothing...

• Sponsors (?)

Well, there is more to it than that. You need to plug the holes in the back of the heads, then the line going to the H pipe, plug the two vaccume lines, get a shorter belt, and throw the smog pump as far as you can. Or you can try to supercharge a weed wacker, J/K, don't do that. Forget the eleminator kits, the short belt is a better idea.

Not much of a power increase, but little things add up.

You can pass the sniffer just fine with out the smog pump. My numbers stayed the same when I deleted it. It probally doesn't work anyways.

StonysGT said:
im wanting to do this to how do you plug the heads. what do you use?

I think most ppl use spark plugs to plug the heads. You can do it another way also just leave the pipe on and put a by-pass cap on the end of the pipe that the hose's were hooked up to its real easy i did it this way. Make sure to plug the vaccum lines if you dont you will get a bad idle problem.

Later, Black 93 Fox

StonysGT said:
what do you mean by a bypass cap. if i do it that way will you see it and will it look ugly. i take my car to car shows and dont want anything ugly

You cant really see the pipe cause it ends right after the bend around the intake. A by-pass cap is a rubber cap that can go over something you do this so you wont have a vaccum leak and what not. I got mine at NAPA I dont remeber what size it was tho sorry.

Black 93 Fox

fivelitercoupe said:
Im looking to take the smog pump off my car using the ford smog pump removal kit and i was wondering how hard it is to do this?? Keep in mind im not worried about emmisions either. Also what kind of power increase will this give me, i know it wont be too much but anything is better than nothing...

I did gain some real world HP when I removed my smog equuipment.

0.000000001 HP

But I think it was worth the 0.001 MPH in the traps.

Just a hastle your going to have to deal with later if your smog tested. I would not do it again.

What I did with my pump lines is cut the tubing off of the piece that bolts onto the head, and just flip those pieces around so they cover the hole in the heads instead of being open to it. is that confusing? you don't even see it when you are done and it blocks up the heads nicely. I even used some permatex around it to make an air tight seal.

I second the short belt setup. much cheaper than the elim. kit, plus you get a new belt on your ride.

i can't draw a diagram, or take a picture, but i can walk you through it. did you look at the pipes going to the back of the heads??? If not, look now. I think it is really only one pipe that goes back there, but it splits into 2 (to go to each head). At the end, where they bolt to the head, they have a little flange which is a thick piece of metal (you have to look at it to understand this). Well, what you do is cut the pipes off of the flanges right up against the flange itself. Unbolt the flanges from the heads, and totally flip them around so the opposite side of them are against the head now, which is totally flat, so it will block over the hole in the heads. And as I mentioned above, i also put some permatex around the hole to make an air tight seal. I hope this helped, I sort of rushed through this the first time...sorry about that. Basically, you really have to go look at what you've got to fully understand. You can unbolt them from the heads without taking the heads off. Removing the upper intake would give a lot more room, but that's about it. Feel back there for them, take them off and check it out.