Smog Pump removal

MuDDuQ

Sep 25, 2005
I have my engine out and was considering removing the smog crap as the main tube that connects to the heads looks like its completly plugged up with carbon and sout. I found a good read me that looks pretty straight forward as far as removing it. http://www.allfordmustangs.com//techarticles/Smog2.pdf

Should I do this or not my car is completely stock right now and probably will stay that way as I dont race it around. Will this cause any computer issues? I have heard that it will cook your cats if you do this any truth to that? Please post your experience , knowledge or advice.

• Sponsors (?)

Remove it all,throw it as far as you can,and your car will be fine.A short belt,couple of plugs for the back of the heads,done.I just cut the ends off of the smog tube that ran from head to head,reversed them,and bolted them on over the holes with a little sealant as a gasket.Never had any problems.

Remove it all,throw it as far as you can,and your car will be fine.A short belt,couple of plugs for the back of the heads,done.I just cut the ends off of the smog tube that ran from head to head,reversed them,and bolted them on over the holes with a little sealant as a gasket.Never had any problems.

Will that set any codes or cause catalytic converter problems?

i'm not sure if it will make any problems with cats because i dont have them...but when i did mine i got one of the smog pump delete kits so i did not have to get a shorter belt, i just took the pump off...unplug the 2 small vacuum lines and tucked them away.. then with the steel tube coming from the back of the heads i just left it...then took the 4 inch rubber tube that was on the smog tubing and clamped it to the steel tube then clamped that shut and never had any problem so far...new had any ECU problem...

I just did it and no it wont throw codes...at least it didnt on my 90 and YES my Check Engine light still works lol, started goin crazy when the cold air fell apart so I know it works. As for cats, dont know, heard its not too good for cats so go get a catless H-pipe or gut your cats and be done with it!!! I passed emissions with FLYING colors with gutted cats and no smog!
Matt

I'd suggest doing the smog pump delete now while the engine is out........... it's very hard to plug the heads up with the engine in the car but can be done just a pita. Plus the smog pump has been dyno proven to rob 3 to 4 hp at the wheels and I for one never like the idea of adding another pulley to the front of my motor when deleting something so I stay away from the delete kits that put another pulley in it's place. I just use a smaller belt, let money spent and less drag

You shouldn't get any codes that'll set the check engine light off

If you do delete teh smog pump don't run the stock catted h pipe long without the smog pump pumping fresh air to the cats they will over heat and eventually clog and in some cases could spark a fire or two so it's your call but by rights replacing the Hpipe or mid pipe as some call it should be the first mod then the smog delete.

Good luck it's cake

I dont mean to jack your thread....Does anyone have any trouble with the smog system sucking oil and blowing all over the engine bay? I just rebuilt my motor and I dont have any leaks around any gaskets ( oil pan,heads,valve cover,or front main) but I have oil blown all over the passenger side of my motor....I cant figure out what is causing this... Oh and it was doing the same thing with my old motor..

Kelly

I dont mean to jack your thread....Does anyone have any trouble with the smog system sucking oil and blowing all over the engine bay? I just rebuilt my motor and I dont have any leaks around any gaskets ( oil pan,heads,valve cover,or front main) but I have oil blown all over the passenger side of my motor....I cant figure out what is causing this... Oh and it was doing the same thing with my old motor..

Kelly

The A.I.R. system is not your issue. There's no oil in it, it's a closed system and it has a little bit of filtration (otherwise it would suck up water).

Check your crankcase ventillation system. If the PCV is blocked or insufficient, crankcase pressure starts to find the next path of least resistance (seals).

well i ran no smop pump with my stock cats. i took two trips from la to texas and texas to atlanta. they didnt clog or overheat. i did this for almost two years but i guess it was bad cause when it was time for me to do the headers to mufflers upgrade(new h pipe) i took the stock down pipes off but when i did it crumbled up in pieces. no lie. so in short if you do have stock downpipe better run the smog pump.