smoke is coming into center console

94blackgt 1621

Jul 13, 2003
My car just died and I imediately smelled smoke in the cabin, I tried cranking the car back over, nothing happened but then smoke started coming up around the E brake and center console. What the heck does that mean, obviously it has to be some sort of wiring problem, but what could cause all this that's located near the transmission.
thanks
Chad

• Sponsors (?)

There isn't a whole lot of wiring under the console area? You have the convertible top switch harness, the cig lighter wiring, fog light wiring, and I'm not sure what else?

Above that, I don't know what wiring problem directly under there that would cause your car to stop running? Have you pulled the console yet to check and see? Have you pulled any fuses to see if anything is blown?

Maybe someone else knows more or has a diagram of that area, but I'm just not sure what it could be?

My car just died and I imediately smelled smoke in the cabin, I tried cranking the car back over, nothing happened but then smoke started coming up around the E brake and center console. What the heck does that mean, obviously it has to be some sort of wiring problem, but what could cause all this that's located near the transmission.
thanks
Chad
That happened to me a few times when I would get on it real good, but in my case its oil that leaks out the back of the intake and hits the x-pipe, too cold outside to fix for now :mad:

electrical smoke has a very distinct smell to it... its very diffrent than oil burning.. if you know the diffrence that would be helpful, if not, ummm i am with the other person on here that said its probably not electrical. im going to say that something is dripping or spraying on your exhaust. tranny oil, engine oil.... something

does it only come up through your ebrake ? or do you notice it through your firewall/ vents too?

Now i'm thinking it is just the starter and it just fried because when I try to crank my car nothing happens except a faint noise coming from the starter which means it is getting power, its just not doing anything. And now that I think about it, it was only when I tried to crank it that I smelled smoke. I'm going to pull it out today and pray its just the starter, thanks for the replies.
Chad

Mine did that once a couple years back. I can't remember for sure, but i think it was an electrical smell coming out. I had driven it really hard earlier in the day, let it sit for a few hours then tried to start it later on and it wouldnt crank at all. turned out i had a blown starter.

I had the same problem with my car. Changed the starter and it fixed the problem long enough to start the car once. Come to find out i had a bad ground from the battery to the block, which was causing the the battery to try and ground through the clutch cable, which was heating up the cable and burning the plastic sleeve inside the cable and locking up the cable ( smelled like wires burning ). Is your battery in the trunk or still in the engine bay. I had moved my battery to the trunk, grounded it to the frame the the block to the frame. If you have done the same thing that is your problem. THe battery has to be grounded straight to the block to be correct. After 2 starters, 3 clutch cable, and a lot of hair pulling later. Its fixed. SO check and be sure you have a good ground from you battery straight to your block.