Smoke on decel?

Quik03GT

Mar 2, 2006
Another thing I've noticed with this car is that it has some blow by on decel, mostly higher rpm decel. I'm thinking it might be valve guides, hopefully not rings. It's definetly blue smoke, I've heard some people saying that a catless x pipe will make smoke pass through easier, but either way I don't think it should be smoking blue. any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Definitely shouldnt be blue. While valve guides could be the issue, Id think the valve stem seals are a more likely culprit, at least to start looking there. Because if theyre doing there job, oil shouldnt be able to get to the guides that easy. I had a similar issue on my 88 and the stock plastic cone type seals were destroyed. Replaced them with the neoprene Felpro seals and no more smoking. Inspecting the fatory seals would be a good place to at least start your search.

If it's only on deceleration I would gather it's something like your PCV valve went to ****. When you decelerate in gear, the engine is generating the most vacuum. It sounds a little extreme that a PCV valve would cause it have visible smoke, but it's $3 for a new one, so it's a cheap place to start. Anyway, the PCV valve might be so screwed up, it's sucking a crap ton of oil into the intake. How much smoke are we talking about here?

Kurt