Smoke. Rocker or valve problem?

I have been having a horrible ticking noise coming from the driver's side for months now. It sounds like a really, really bad exhaust leak but I use Stage 8 locking header bolts and I rechecked all the bolts on the H-pipe. This morning I started it up and as I was walking out to it, I saw smoke coming from the driver's tailpipe. It wasn't black but more blue-white. It wasn't very thick but it came out in a steady stream. So what is the problem? I can't tear it apart for a few weeks when I can use my friend's garage but I need to know what to look for. I am leaning towards a bent valve or screwy rocker. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

No way a rocker would cause an oil leak into the combustion chamber. Head gasket, valve seal, valve guide, valve, or rings. :shrug: Assuming that's oil smoke you're seeing, that is. Does the smoke ever go away?

swingline said:
I didn't notice the smoke go away. I need to have someone follow me and see from behind. What would cause a blown head gasket in a non-boosted application?
I don't think anyone could answer that specifically. I don't think you blew a headgasket because you haven't said the car runs like trash. You'd know it if you did a good job blowing a HG.

Dave's on the right path. Listen to him.

Joe

I started it up before I went to school and there wasn't any smoke. It looks like it only smokes when the engine is cold. I over-revved it a few times so I am leaning towards a valve. The car only has 45k miles on it so I doubt it is a ring. :shrug: The car runs as strong as ever so it isn't a head gasket. Like Joe said, I could tell if it were blown.