Smokey starter syndrome (SSS)

DJCarbine

May 4, 2005
Just replaced the intake manifold on the car, I know the timing if off by god knows how much, the carb has no choke on it, and its about -20. I figure... hey lets try to start it. :D

Crank it for about 10 seconds trying to get fuel into the carb, stop when I notice some smoke/steam coming up from behind the block.

No burning smell really, just a strange odor. Everything has condensation on it from being so cold, and this is the first time starting in months. Its got new oil and everything.

Could the starter wires/starter be getting hot enough to turn condensation into steam? I know the engine ground is original and chewed up, I plan on changing it. Starter is original too.

I did work the starter over pretty good cranking it and trying to get it fired several times, do these things get really hot?

• Sponsors (?)

Could the starter wires/starter be getting hot enough to turn condensation into steam? I know the engine ground is original and chewed up, I plan on changing it. Starter is original too.
try craniking it and feel the starter wire.its might be hot, mabe getting hot enough to melt the insulation.

you NEED a good ground or 2.If the starter has resistance in the windings,timing off, that could cause it ti heat up too

the wire from the solenoid to the starter can get realllllly hot if you engage it for too long, and i would imagine the same for the starter, considering how much power it takes.

Got it sorted out. Made a new ground strap out of some spare 4 gauge I had around the house, car cranked better but still didn't start.

I eyed the choke I had taken off the carb which was sitting on the shelf in the garage. I wonder.... the part that I so carelessly took off and tossed aside, because I was too lazy to run the manual choke line.....

Needless to say it fires right up :D

So yeah... that part that comes on the carb that helps cold weather starts and such.... yeah.... :rlaugh: