Smoking out one tailpipe

a_k

Nov 12, 2004
Saratoga NY
Even though I probably shouldn't I'm selling my engine to a friend and taking his stock engine. I drove it around right before I started pulling it out tonight and it was smoking out the left tailpipe. It puffs smoke when you start and also when you rev it. I was going to back out of the deal but he is giving me extra money to have it fixed. It is coming out of an 87gt. I did a compression test and it was 150 across the board. Does this sound like a problem with the valve guides or the rings? I'm hoping the bottom end does not need a rebuild.

Thanks

Adam

• Sponsors (?)

they should wear the same..

Id be looking into valve seals.

Not necessarily. If fuel has ever gotten into the oil or the engine has been burning excessive fuel, the oil rings will wear out MUCH faster.

From what you've described, it could be either one. I wouldn't buy an engine that smokes unless you planned a complete rebuild. In which case, you could rebuild the engine you already have.

Yea, burning oil is never an easy fix, regardless if its a piston ring or a cylinder head issue. What is wrong with your current engine?

FWIW, excessive smoke on startup usually indicates valve guides, but if it smokes after that, it could still be rings.

oh sorry, blue it is definitely oil...

You said the exhaust smokes when you rev the engine up. Does the smoke appear from the tailpipe when you're still on the throttle or immediately after you lift off? The latter would definitely indicate bad valve stem oil seals in which case replacing them would be an easy fix.

my car was doing this last year, when i tore it all down, this is what i found on my number 6 spark plug. i could tell it was ****ed before the teardown b/c i had oil all over the plug when i pulled it out. you prolly have a bad ring or the cylinder wall is bad, mine had a nice groove in it i had to go .30 over.

top of piston
6piston.jpg

cylinders1.jpg

head
smoked6.jpg

SMOKED.jpg

hope this helped.

Thanks a lot guys, it turns out one of his friends owns a shop so he is going to take a look at it and do the work pretty cheap. We are probably doing a full rebuild and I might port the heads and intake while he is at it. Heck maybe down the road I'll boost it. Nothing is wrong with my current engine, but I have an opportunity to sell it for a decent price, which I can use to pay off my credit cards 100% and put the irs in. As for the smoke it was coming out while on the throttle....