Smoking problem

ID89GT

10 Year Member
May 26, 2008
Spokane Valley, WA
Okay, I have been battling this problem for a while now.. What it is doing is that it is smoking really bad out the passenger side only. I can hold the RPM's at 2200 and grey smoke literally is pouring out. I have done the intake manifold gasket, just did valve stem seals, bottom end is all new, compression is at 152 all around right on the dot, heads have all been gone through. I am starting to think its a carb issue. The carb has been rebuilt, but I know nothing about tuning it, or on how to find what could be causing this problem.

The engine is a 351w, carb is a Holley 600 double pumper. It has been rebuilt using one of those trick kits, but the guy who did it for me pretty much rebuilt it then put it on and that was it. When the car is warmed up, it will idle at like 1500 rpm. I dont hardly know anything about carbs, I set the bowls and put the metering screws to get the highest vacuum which is 12 inches of vacuum at idle.

Any help on where to look or what I need to do to make this thing stop smoking? Its pretty much the only thing that is preventing me from driving the car since it smokes so bad.

• Sponsors (?)

I had smoke coming from 1 pipe after I put gt40p heads and the explorer intake on.. Turned out 1 or 2 of my plugs were arcing out on the header on the passenger side.. I put the boot protectors on and haven't had the problem since.. When I drove the car with this problem it sputtered a little bit. And only seemed to do it when the engine warmed up..pop the hood in the dark and look for arcing while it is running. That's how I found my problem. Hope this helps

Hmm the plug wires do seem like they are kinda worn. Ill try that and see if I can see anything. I'm also thinking this thing is running way rich, I went down six jet sizes to lean it out some and the plugs still have some black on them, how many more sizes do I need to go to make a difference? It had 66s in it when I first bought it, and now it is down to 55s. I know the power valve is good because I can completely screw in a metering valve and the car will die like its suppose to.

Update:

Started it up today, noticed it doesn't start smoking till it gets pretty much completely warmed up. Pulled a plug and it was soaked in oil.. definitely not gas. My father in law is thinking it is the oil rings, the motor is new but the car sat for like 9 years after it was built. We are pulling the heads off this weekend and are gonna see what the cylinder walls look like and we will go from there.