smoking...sad!

2blue

Sep 13, 2004
88 mustang cobra vehicle was parked 2 months and today i started it and lots of white smoke could be seen. antifreeze could be seen leaking from the exhaust so i have 2 questions...

what could be causing this???

is this a common problem???

• Sponsors (?)

intake manifold gasket,head gasket, throttle body coolant line leak.---> if on the passinger side.

if your not sure where its leaking from, I would do a compression test and leak down test etc, or have a shop diagnos it,

It is not possible to say if the motor needs rebuilt with out know how many miles are on it and if it was regularly maintained etc etc. Head gasket failure dosent necessarily mean the motor is junk. many times you can just pull the heads have them checked out and freshened up. Or maybe consider upgrading to better heads at this point. My old motor had 125000 miles on it when i added thumpers ported heads and a comp cam and other items. I recently built a new motor and swapped it out.

2blue said:
Yep first thing in the morning going to get one and look at this engine and see if i can do it....change head gasket that is...

You have to do both sides when you change head gaskets. Something to do with compression I think. But make sure you do both.

Your also gonna need a torque wrench. To re-torque the head bolts and intake bolts down to specs. Good Luck man hope everything goes smooth. Might want to grab a friend when you start to work on it.