SN65 at the WFC...

SN65

Oct 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
Well….

We just returned from the World Ford Challenge.

What a show. We were parked right at the 1/4 mile finish line. Being within 50 feet of these cars as they went past (some at well over 200 MPH) was just insane. Sometimes, when the shoots deployed, they would POP so loud that you could actually feel the shock wave. On some cars it sounded (and felt) as if they just broke the sound barrier. Really cool.

On a sad note, we saw two really nice cars spin out and run into the wall just past the finish line. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but smashing up your car at the end of a race like that has really got to suck big time. Another guy spun his car around in circles a couple of times, while doing about 120 MPH, and just tapped his nose on the wall. Everyone in our area agreed that he had to be ether really lucky or one hell of a driver.

It was great meeting, and talking to those who have been following the project on the net. Some of you (and you know who you are) actually started explaining to the uneducated all of the modifications we made. When that happened I would just stand back and listen. I swear, one guy knows as much or more about what we did on the SN65 as I do. Once he called me over for clarification on one aspect of the project, got the info he needed and then went back to explaining all the other features of the car. He did such a nice job talking about the car that I wish he had stayed there all weekend just to help explain what it was that we did.

On another note, while it was fun talking to those who already knew about the project, it was actually more fun watching the expressions of those who had no clue as to what the car was. The typical group would approach the car and say "Cool, they put a mod motor in a fastback". Then one of them would walk around the car, look at the interior, get a big grin on his face and say "Holy crap!!!! You gotta see this". At that point all bets were off as they crawled all over the car trying to figure out what we did. After they scratched their heads for a few minutes, one of them would walk over and ask “how tough was it to put the dash in”? That was my cue to walk them through the project.

OBTW, the SN65 took first place in our category “SUPER MODIFIED ’65-’06 Street Machines” and also best in show. Woo Hoo!!!!

We were really thrilled to place so well at this event. There were some really, really nice cars and trucks at the show (about 450 in total) and the judges must have had a really hard time making their final decision.

Hope to see you at the next event.

• Sponsors (?)

I told my buddy Kevin to stop by. He was racing in ET2 with a red '68 coupe with an insanely tall cowl hood. He had run some 12.0s this weekend, went out in the second round on Saturday with a -.002 red and out on Sunday with a -.004 red. This is footbraking the car, his lights are normally in the .01x-.00x range but has upgraded the car recently and it appears a lot quicker in the 60' times.

Wished I could have been there, congrats on the wins.

Car looked amazing Bob... While the pictures do look good, all the hard work is clearly seen when viewing this car in person.

I wanted to chat more, but thought we were going to get a down pour when we started getting a few drops. I hope to make it out the shop soon tho. Congrats on the show wins too

I was there yesterday but didn't make the car show. Couple guys in the office were talking about your car (non car guys), they had no idea how much effort and thought went in to the build.... I'll send them the link of the build so they will begin to understand....

Sounds like a lot of fun. Congrats on the win.

Have you shelved the idea of your pseudo-Ferrari Mustang? Haven't seen the thread, nor even a link on your website.

mtbdoc said:
Sounds like a lot of fun. Congrats on the win.

Have you shelved the idea of your pseudo-Ferrari Mustang? Haven't seen the thread, nor even a link on your website.
Hi M,

I have not shelved the idea yet, but I have only been able to get 5 people on board so far. We really want 10. The five are going to patently wait till I can get the other 5.

I am reworking the website to include the ideas that we have been kicking around. It appears that they want to build more of a SN65 clone than a ferrari/Mustang. They want an exterior similar to the SN65 but with a 302/351 based drivetrain. So I am rehashing the idea a bit. I still like the Ferrari idea, but the input I am getting is pushing me toward a SN65 clone.

I said I would let the group decide the details. It apperes that SN65 clone is one of the details that they all are agreeing on.