SN95 conversions opinions

JAM

Founding Member
Oct 19, 2002
al
i know this has been covered but i've added a 'new' twist (maybe)
1) is this conversion worth it? for your DD?
the few people i've talked to said they couldn't tell a SOP difference
2) i want to stay with the 16x8 wheel / weight savings /cheaper tires ect.
what do you think would be the best looking/cheapest wheel for my black 92 notch??
3) anybody have said wheel??
i'm doing a maximum motorsport road@tack suspension now and am feeling poor :lol:
john

• Sponsors (?)

Stupid question alert:

What do you mean, "SN95 conversion"? I know SN95 being a body code (94+), but what are you converting? Sorry if this is a stupid question...I am just confused by your wording.

stupid question

sorry
i'm thinking of doing the fox body mustang 5-lug conversion
i was planing on using the sn-95GT spindles/hubs/caliper's ect. to covert my fox to a 4 disk brake system
i've only talked with one person who has done this and he said he didn't get a 'great improvment in braking' and felt that the main reason people did this conversion was for the 5lug wheel options.
improving breaking was my main interest in this conversion and was wondering if others who had upgraded, felt it was worth while..
:SNSign:

The upgrade is worth it IMO. Its a well worthwhile upgrade on a daily driver car more than a 1320 and weekend/pretty weather driver. You'll be able to tell a good sized difference, and of course the wheel selection is just a bonus. Id go ahead and go up to a 17" wheel though, you can get tires for 17" wheels cheap cheap now and if its a daily driver then wheel weight wont be a huge issue. Plus you can find a wheels that look good for your fox that are just new model take offs. Good luck.

Shakerhood said:
Someone did something horribly wrong with their Conversion if they did not notice a Huge difference in braking as it should be night and day!
I can sort of see both sides of the argument over the SN95 brake conversion. I have a 95 GT, but had a 90 before that, and I didn't notice much of a difference in braking ability between the two, since the stock 95 brakes are still a single piston caliper in the front. Now if I stepped up to the PBR or Cobra brakes with dual pistons, there should be a significant difference between the two.

To answer the original question, you really should step up to a 17" wheel, in my opinion. They're so common nowadays, that tires can be had for usually only a few dollar difference over 16" tires. It's true that many people do it for the 5 lug conversion, but you can also have a great improvement in braking and wheel selection, too. If it were up to me, I'd be going with some FR500 wheels. They just look sexy on a Notch.

To be honest, I didn't notice a huge difference in the braking in general. I did gain a stiffer pedal, less pedal travel and harder grab right near the end of braking. Actually, seems like less stopping distance as well. I'm still really happy with it though.

If you're looking to stay with a 16 inch wheel, you couldn't go the 13" rotor route.
16" Cobra R (A lot of people don't like them.)
http://www.mustangtuning.com/cobra-r-wheel-16x8.html
94-98 Waffles:
http://images.consumerguide.com/autoreview/400x266/1994-2004-Ford-Mustang-96113221990414.JPG
99-04 V6 with special center cap (has other caps, they look like crap.):
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Ford-Mustang-OE-...ryZ43956QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you are on a really tight budget don't worry about it stay 4 lug. If there are some wheels you wanna run that are 5 lug go the cheap ranger/svo way. Just remember some wheels will not work. Now as far as a difference, which I have done both ways, there is a braking difference especially when you are in the brakes hard.

Reed said:
To be honest, I didn't notice a huge difference in the braking in general. I did gain a stiffer pedal, less pedal travel and harder grab right near the end of braking. Actually, seems like less stopping distance as well. I'm still really happy with it though.

If you're looking to stay with a 16 inch wheel, you couldn't go the 13" rotor route.
16" Cobra R (A lot of people don't like them.)
http://www.mustangtuning.com/cobra-r-wheel-16x8.html
94-98 Waffles:
http://images.consumerguide.com/autoreview/400x266/1994-2004-Ford-Mustang-96113221990414.JPG
99-04 V6 with special center cap (has other caps, they look like crap.):
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Ford-Mustang-OE-...ryZ43956QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Your Pedal should feel Stock unless you forgot to change out the Booster. You can Adjust your Prop Valve to help out on your rears too!

I did it on my 85. Tho I was able to use the rotors, calipers, and wheels off my 2000 GT. (Did a Cobra brake conversion and got Cobra wheels) I also got a master cylinder from a 85 Lincoln Town Car. It has a larger bore/piston to help squeeze the 2 piston calipers. Tho I stayed with drums rear. You should be able to find wheels, lots of people upgrade their stock ones. I got the spindles, hubs, axle shafts and drums out of a junkyard to help keep cost at a minimum. It helped braking alot, looks good and in my opinion well worth it. And in the future I could upgrade to 13" rotors and bigger calipers. At the same time I swapped in some C springs and KYB shocks. Since I was under the car I also welded in some subframe connectors. Just need to get my 3.73's installed. So after I install a strut tower brace I'll have a rigid chassis, good suspension, and stopping power to handle the power upgrades. So in short... Go for it!!!
lower1.jpg

View attachment 443930

Attachments

• lower1.jpg
    lower1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 51
Shakerhood said:
Your Pedal should feel Stock unless you forgot to change out the Booster. You can Adjust your Prop Valve to help out on your rears too!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I think it's one of two things. I had some air in the system before the conversion or the push rod from the booster is out too far so I don't have a lot of pedal travel to engage the M/C. Oh well, works well enough. My prop valve is at full pressure as well right now.

What are the Ford Racing 5 lug rotors like? Will I be able to fit 5 lug Mustang wheels on them without a problem?

Id just be doing it for looks and not necessarily for improved braking. Its not really a priority, just something I was considering eventually.

PJB said:
What are the Ford Racing 5 lug rotors like? Will I be able to fit 5 lug Mustang wheels on them without a problem?

Id just be doing it for looks and not necessarily for improved braking. Its not really a priority, just something I was considering eventually.
They are just Lincoln or SVO rotors that you can get at Napa for $30....and you will be limited on some wheels. The only way to really run any 5 lug is with the spindle swap.
http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/mustang/5lug.html
http://www.stangnet.com/tech/lug.html

PJB said:
Ok, Ive heard of the Lincoln rotors and didnt know for sure if thats all those were.

I have the svo/lincoln rotors on mine...(see sig)...wheel options are somewhat limited, but, I got these for a steal...(tunedin ignore that statement :D )

I also whent with the 73mm calipers. stops the same as stock, sn95 stuff in the near future and I will run the same wheels.

Jim

Im going to worry a little more about making the car faster right now and getting the rust repaired. 5 lug wheels arent really a necessity right now.

Which stock 5 lug wheels fit with the Lincoln rotors and which dont though? I see yours has v6 '94+ wheels.

PJB said:
Im going to worry a little more about making the car faster right now and getting the rust repaired. 5 lug wheels arent really a necessity right now.

Which stock 5 lug wheels fit with the Lincoln rotors and which dont though? I see yours has v6 '94+ wheels.

Actually...those are the 17" '94-'95 GT Tri-bars...I believe the v6 wheels would fit..

Look for iwashmycar...he had the 16" waffles on at one time...