SN95 handling experts...come on in

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
Austin TX
Ever hear of a rear sway-bar breaking? I pulled into a parking lot that had a rather abrupt ramp and heard a pretty loud ka-thunk followed by a rattling sound. I figured I had scraped a muffler and went down the street to a muffler shop. Once it was on the rack it was obvious that the sway bar was broken clean off right behind the rear bolt on the passenger side. We called Ford for a replacement part and found that my 97 Cobra had a 26mm hollow bar and the only available parts were from a later Cobra and they were smaller and solid. Now I am no expert (oarticularly with these late models) but a larger diameter hollow bar is stiffer and lighter than a smaller solid bar right?

Anyhow, rather than pay $175 for a smaller heavier bar I told them to cut off the other side and drove home without a rear bar. I never pushed the lateral Gs to any serious level but the handling overall seemed only slightly different. Initial turn-in was a little more abrupt and I lost some of the push. The only chassis/suspension mods I have are Tociko shocks/struts and FMS Springs that lowered me 1.5 inches in front and 1 in back. I have a couple of questions for the experts out there though:

1.) Am I right that a larger and hollow bar is better than a smaller solid one?

2.) Is it unsafe to drive without a rear bar until I can find a replacement?

3.) What bar should I get, manufacturer and size?

4.) What might cause a bar to break? This car was never autocrossed or drag raced, it only has 65K miles on the 7.5 year old chassis.

5.) last question while I am at it...I am putting BBK caster/camber ajusting plates on it soon, what are the preferred settings to give the alignment shop for sporty street/daily driving?

• Sponsors (?)