SN95 Light Issue

I own a 94 Mustang GT. Right after I bought it, I started having issues with blowing foglights. I took apart my dash and replaced the light switch for my head lights and the wiring harness it plugs into because they were melted. Well, a few weeks ago, I started having the same issue with the foglights. This time the switch for the headlights went haywire as well. I heard there is a relay you can put in that will fix this problem. But after searching the web, I can't find anything. Anyone know what I am talking about??????

• Sponsors (?)

Your 94 has a fog light relay in the underhood fuse box. How does the switching go haywire? Inside the car is just all the control side of things for the foglights. You can re-source power for the fog light switch. Under the center armrest is the convertible top power connector (key-on hot). I used that for a new power source for my fogs (so my headlights don't need to be on for fogs to be on). This might help with diagnostics or just be something you want to do.

All of that would be for the control side of the circuit. The feed side is all under the hood (for foglights - not for headlights). Knowing more about what is going on will help us to help you.

Good luck.

The actual switch on the dash for the head lights melts along with the wiring harness. I can wiggle the knob for the switch side to side and the headlights, parking lights, and foglights will flicker and / or turn off. Not by pulling the knob out or pushing it in like you should be able to.

The relay I am talking about goes somewhere under the hood I THINK. This is a common problem for SN95 cars. So far I have had two that do this. Just was wondering what relay, where it is/goes, and if anyone has a skematic for it. I have already tried replacing the switch and the melted harness, but like I said it works for about 6 months and then melts and I am back to square one again. Even though the parts are cheap, I would just like to fix it once and for all. Thanks again for any help!

If you did the rewire for the fog lights, they should not flicker when you wiggle the headlight switch (they are essentially disconnected from the headlight circuit at that point).

You do have a fog light relay already. Burning the headlight connector is not real common but does happen, especially when folks add higher wattage headlight bulbs. It sounds like you want to wire up a relay for your low beams - I've been around for awhile and not seen a write-up for this but it sure would be easy enough to do.

Even with the wiring in the console changed, they are still controled by the off/on of the headlight switch. The rewire that we did just made it possible for the foglights to be on with just the parking lamps and with the high beams of the headlights.

The problem is common enough that when I had to go to the Ford Dealership, the parts guy knew what I was talking about. And that they had the wiring pigtail in stock.

We don't seem to be on the same page (i.e., how the fogs were re-wired. I thought you said that they could be on all the time. Then later you said they were on with the parking lights. Based upon what you said in the last post, I'd guess the control side of the relay is sourced from the parking lights).

As I said, the connectors do occasionally burn, but it's not near the issue of Fox light switches/connectors/wiring. I'd recheck your headlight switch and connector. Add a relay for low and high beams if you desire. It should take about an hour or less to do.

Good luck.