SN95 Tech info needed

ok, I have all but abused the forum search, and nothing have revealed itself to me, so here's what I'm looking for:

- Pretty much anything and everything electronic you've got on the SN95, PDf service manuals, spec websites, etc.

With 4 weeks until the car arrives, I need to at least have a fundamental understanding of the car so I can start planning what to do with it :)

Oh yeah, anyone know how big the stock injectors are, and whether they are top/side feed, high or low impedance?

• Sponsors (?)

First thing, the injectors on sn95 are 19lb (GT) or 24lb (Cobra) top feed, that's a general statement since I don't know the specific year and model of your car, but it applies to most 5.0 or 4.6 sn95. As far as info goes try HP Books, published by The Berkley Publishing Group, they have several How to books on late model mustangs, and if that doesn't work, go to summitracing .com. their catalog has a pubs (publications that is) section to include shop manuals.
Hope this helps.

Monsterbishi said:
19lb, so in my corner of the world is (Out comes the calculator) 200cc injectors?

Doesn't leave much room for expansion, so those will be finding their way into the bin...
It seems to me that when injectors are measured in CC's, they are often done in CC/minute. The stock stang injectors are 19#/hour. And I think your 200cc number is right, but again, that is 200 CC per minute. Absolutely double check me on that.

:OT: I was in Christchurch some years ago. Absolutely beautiful town (the whole South Island was). :nice:

And welcome to the boards!

Yeah, I double-checked my math, 19lb/hour injectors come up to 199.69cc/min, assuming that the specific gravity was that of water, not any particular density fuel.

OT Reply: Thanks, and not only is it a beautiful place to live, we aren't legally required to run Catalytic converters either :)

Which brings me back on topic for another question, the O2 sensors that the ecu uses for a comparitive measure on the cats, I assume they are narrow band o2's so used on cruise and part throttle only, so I could supply a fraction of a volt to the post-cat o2 sensor to fool it into thinking it's still there without adversly affect the mapping?

Monsterbishi said:
Yeah, I double-checked my math, 19lb/hour injectors come up to 199.69cc/min, assuming that the specific gravity was that of water, not any particular density fuel.

OT Reply: Thanks, and not only is it a beautiful place to live, we aren't legally required to run Catalytic converters either :)

Which brings me back on topic for another question, the O2 sensors that the ecu uses for a comparitive measure on the cats, I assume they are narrow band o2's so used on cruise and part throttle only, so I could supply a fraction of a volt to the post-cat o2 sensor to fool it into thinking it's still there without adversly affect the mapping?
What year and trim of mustang are you getting? Over here we (I obnoxiously refer to we as the U.S.) started the SN95 line in 1994. For 1994-1995, the GT cars came with 5.0L motor. In 1996, the modular motor was utilized; the mod motor cars (1996+) are OBD-II, whereas the 5.0L motors are OBD-I.

Speaking of 5.0L's: the O2's are narrowband and are used for fuel trim - I consider them necessary. Otherwise, the car can run in FMEM - it will still run, but not optimally.

You are talking about an OBD-II (mod motor) set-up with pre and post cat O2's. The first set of O2's is necessary for fuel trim. The second O2 (post cat) is what measures the function of the cat, as you said. There are tricks and kits for taking care of this code (MIL kits, etc). I think they are about 55-60 dollars U.S.

I only bring this up to help with confusion - this is the sub-forum for 94-95 (5.0L cars). But you had it all correct as far as I can see. :nice:

We're getting a 5.0 94-95 GT, I was under the impression from my limited study so far that all SN95's had the post-cat comparitive setup, I'm glad to be wrong in this instance, so this means we can get happy with the grinder when it arrives, bin the cats, leaving the o2's and it will run fine?

Monsterbishi said:
We're getting a 5.0 94-95 GT, I was under the impression from my limited study so far that all SN95's had the post-cat comparitive setup, I'm glad to be wrong in this instance, so this means we can get happy with the grinder when it arrives, bin the cats, leaving the o2's and it will run fine?
I wouldn't want to assume that the emissions equipment or other ancillary items are the same when comparing a US car vs the one you might be getting (unless yours is coming from North America).

For an American '94 or '95 GT (5.0L), you are right on. Matter of fact, you can buy a new H-pipe or X-pipe for not much at all (the sound is worth it alone) and simply remove your stock H-pipe and install the new H or X-pipe in its place. Plug and play. :nice:

To fully understand ford fuel injection, you should get "Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control" by Probst. It by far was the greatest tool for understanding ford's fuel injection system. It will allow you to diagnose problems with the engine with 10x speed, plus you will actually understand how the bloody thing works! Makes tuning so much easier to comprehend.

edit: here is a link

Glad the mustang craze is out there in the world, not just us.

And ditto on the O2's, they are narrow band and only 1 on each bank before each cat, so the cats can be ditch w/o problems. I had to make 2 circuit boards for my brothers 2003 b/c he is running magnaflow's o/r x and has 4 O2's. No biggie really if you can read a schematic and solder.
Scott