Sn95 V6 To 95 T-bird V8 Swap

Getbleached

Jul 7, 2015
Richmond Va
I want to do a v8 swap in my sn95 and think i found my chance for cheap

So I have a sn95 non fox v6, i have recently met up with a guy with a v8 4.6 for a T-bird.
Now for my questions,
  • Does the engine swap over fine?
  • what all is required to swap?
  • will the swap be equivalent to a 4.6 gt swap hp/quarter mile wise?
  • what wiring harness will i need?
The reason i am seriously considering the option is because i am tight on cash for my car shenanigans and the guy blew his head gasket and doesn't want the engine. Replacing the head gasket is no problem plus i can do any mods i want easily before i put the engine in.

Other questions that stand if the swap is nearly as simple as a v6 to gt swap
  • What mods should i consider to get more out of the T-Bird engine?
  • What could be some Pros and Cons about this swap?

• Sponsors (?)

This would not be an easy swap. The mid-90's T-birds used the EEC-V so you'll need pretty much the entire harness, computer, sensors, etc. Which will give you much fun getting gauges to work. The engine is significantly larger than the 5.0L, will require I believe a new K-member and complete exhaust. It won't bolt up to your transmission, and I'm not sure the T-bird tranny will work dimensionally (it might).

All this for 205 hp and 265 ft lbs of torque (even less than a typical 4.6 GT which by today's standards is pretty pathetic)? I have a feeling your investment will end up quite a bit bigger than buying a complete 94/95 GT to put next to your v6. A ton of work for very little benefit. You could probably get close to the same power swapping in a Windstar 3.8, much less a supercharger.

The other thing about head gaskets, depending on how much coolant found its way into the oil and how long it ran that way, it may already be severely damaged. Also doing head gaskets on a modular v8 is no big treat. If you truly want a v8 in your current v6 car, I'd keep looking for a 5.0 parts car.