sneaky98gt Progress Build: FRPP/SVO Blower Install

sneaky98gt

10 Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
NC State University
I guess I'll start one of these.

I'm installing a FRPP/SVO blower onto a 98 GT. I'm planning on running it at about 6 pounds on non-intercooled boost. Mods currently on the car: PI cams, PI intake, mix-matched (yet functional) CAI, offroad Prochamber, Flowmaster catback, and UDPs. For the install, I'll be removing the PI intake and UDPs (obviously), and installing a 75 mm TB.

So it started this past weekend. Well, sort of. :D Got these installed this past weekend:

1002162z.jpg

1002165.jpg

It's a boost/vac and a fuel pressure gauge from Autometer, the Cobalt series. I love them, and they look great. They pretty well match the LED gauges I have, except they are a bit brighter. I may try and play around with some resistors and get them to dim down some. Haven't really decided yet. Install wasn't hard, just really, really tedious working by myself. At the time of this picture, I didn't have the fuel pressure sender hooked up.

Next up is an upgraded fuel pump. I went with an SVT Focus fuel pump as it is a direct drop in the 98-04 GTs good for 400 rwhp. Got the SVT Focus fuel pump in on Thursday night. Here's the focus assembly and pump disassembled.
1002172.jpg

Lowered the tank. Is pretty simple to do. Just remove the three bolts on the straps, and unbolt the filler tube.
1002174n.jpg

Here's the fuel hat bolted to the fuel tank. You first need to remove the fuel lines with a fuel line disconnect tool. Then take the 6 bolts holding the fuel hat onto the tank out, and remove the hat.
1002176l.jpg

Then you have to remove the top from the fuel assembly down in the tank. First remove the plug from the fuel pump itself, then remove the 5 screws around the top of the top. There are two tabs left on the outside that you have to push in and the top will pop right off. Now you can remove the fuel pump and replace with the Focus one. Here is what it looks like when you take the top off.
1002181vx.jpg

Here are the two pumps side by side, with the Focus one on the right. Notice that they look identical and not to get them mixed up.
1002183k.th.jpg

Now reverse order and put it all back together.
1002184o.jpg

Now onto the supercharger install.

I forgot to take a picture of the stock engine bay, but we all know what one of those looks like anyway. Here's one with the intake tube, alternator, water pump pulley, all the PCV, and all the vacuum stuff removed. Also have to remove plug wires, fuel injectors, and fuel rails.
1002193m.jpg

Don't have any pictures of this step either, but next thing to do is remove the upper intake plenum/throttle body. Remove the throttle cable and cruise cable. Also unbolt the EGR tube on the driver side of the plenum. Take the 5 bolts off and remove the plenum.

Then have to remove the lower intake manifold. Take the water hose off the front driver side, and the rear passenger side. Then take the 11 bolts holding it on off and remove the manifold. Pretty simple to do. Clean up the heads and now is a good time to do the spark plugs as well.

Next up is putting the supercharger on. First make sure the gaskets are on and held in place with the tabs. We did it with three people; two people lifted the supercharger, and one person held all the wires and EGR stuff out of the way best they could. It worked pretty well. The bolts needed to bolt the supercharger down are 8mm x 35mm. I used 40mm bolts and a washer, and they worked fine.
1002195f.jpg

Next up was to make a bracket for the DFPE (I think that's the name). Just used a piece of flat metal, drilled a hole in the bottom to use in the stock bracket's location, and two holes in the top to hold the sensor. Not too hard to do.
1002198b.jpg

I then had to make a bracket for the EGR valve solenoid (I think). There were a couple of holes to use on the supercharger. Bracket was pretty easy to make. In this picture, it actually turned out to be in the way of the cruise control cable, so I actually moved it slightly from how it is in this picture. Here it is in the final location. Sorry for the crappy pictures again.
100_2397.sized.jpg

Now for probably the hardest part of the project. Making a bracket for the supercharger idler pulley/for the alternator to bolt to. I used a piece of 1/8 flat metal bolted to a water pump bolt and a timing cover bolt. I then drilled a 5/16 hole where the alternator leaf bolt hole is. Next welded a round piece of solid metal over top of that hole in order to give rigidity in the direction that the idler would want to move. Then drilled a 5/16 hole straight through that piece of metal.

Next found and cut a round piece of metal just big enough to fill up up the inside of the idler pulley (which is the same as a regular idler or tensioner pulley). Drilled a 5/16 hole through that piece of metal as well. Now a 5/16 bolt about 3 inches long will go through the small piece of round metal (which is inside the pulley as a bushing), the large round piece of metal, the 1/8 flat metal, and the alternator leaf hole, with a nut on the back. Also put washers inbetween components as necessary to shim it all to where I wanted it.

This is where that bracket goes.

The alternator is also held by this shake brace:

And this bolt through the coil pack mounting bracket:

I kinda had to play around with all the washers and how I held it in order to get the alternator pulley aligned just right with the others. When I had it where I wanted it, I tighten all three bolts up, starting with the shake brace, then the coil pack bracket bolt, then the bottom bolt holding the idler pulley up. And here's what it looks like when it's all bolted up.

100_2210.sized.jpg

I was surprised at how solid and nicely aligned everything is. I am kinda proud of myself actually, lol. I've done lots of welding/fabrication type work on the farm, but nothing this small/precise. All the stuff I've done before has been, "Oh, get it within an inch or two and we'll beat it into place." Can't exactly do that here....lol, and like I said, I am surprised at how nicely it has worked out.

Next up is a new serpentine belt. After 3 trips to Advance Auto, I finally got one that would fit, and it is 111.5 inches.

Also, the belt will hit the driver side coil pack mounting bracket. It just barely will hit, but a little modification is required. I marked the bracket where the belt was hitting it, and just used a bench grinder to grind it down till the belt will no longer hit it. Also used a sawzaw to cut the little ear off the top corner of the bracket; it isn't used for anything. Not a big deal, but has to be done.
Here is the ear cut off. Sorry for the bad picture quality.

Here is a picture of the belt and bracket after I ground it down.

Also had to make a throttle cable bracket. It was a very ugly and aggravating piece to make, but I finally did it. It's a very custom, jerry rigged piece. It is basically two pieces of flat bar welded together at an angle so that when the bottom piece is bolted to the supercharger, the top piece (which the throttle cable bolts to) is level. There is also a slit in the bottom piece for the metal piece on the throttle cable to slip down in to. Hard to explain, but here are a few of pictures so that you get the idea.

100_2395.sized.jpg

Had to make/put on a water coolant hose (this is the one between the firewall and front passenger side of the supercharger). A couple pieces of 1/2 inch hose, one elbow, and 4 clamps later, and it was on there. No big deal. Picture for reference:
100_2399.sized.jpg

Radiator hose was the same ordeal. I actually just cut/shortened my stock radiator hose and put an elbow in between. Works perfectly.
100_2398.sized.jpg

Had to put a new piece of hose on the front fuel rail crossover. One 18 inch piece of fuel injection fuel hose and 2 clamps later, and that problem was solved.

There was also some vacuum tubing re-routing/splicing that had to be done. Nothing too hard, and you can figure it out on your own pretty easily. I just used some 5/32s vacuum hose and some T's of the same size to do any splicing I needed to. Just use the 5/32s rubber vacuum hose to join the T's and the nylon tube together.

Same goes for the IAC tube and PCV tubing hoses. Just had to cut a few pieces of hose the length I needed. No big deal.

A picture of everything completely done.

Picture of the car on the trailer just before we left for Fastlane to get it tuned. The truck is my brother's 7.3 Stroke (intake, exhaust, chipped).

100_0098.sized.jpg

On the dyno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbYYSCDS-n4

Results:

Track vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE4ZcF0wptk

0-60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzS4kJE1qhI

Feel free to ask any questions about this that you need.

• Sponsors (?)

I still haven't gotten the sending unit for the fuel pressure gauge on yet because I can't find an adapter to mount it on the fuel rail in place of the schrader valve. Anyone know where to get an adapter from?

Autometer 3280 is what you need. Cant wait to see some pics of the progress. :nice:

Thanks guys. Exactly what I needed to know. I was actually just sitting there looking at that page wondering if that was the exact fitting I needed. Guess it is.

When you get it, DO NOT overtighten. Thats what I did and the adapter broke off and got stuck inside the schrader valve. Needless to say, I had to order new fuel rails and the new ones did not have a shrader valve so I am still stuck trying to figure out a way to hook my fuel pressue gauge without replacing the fuel rails again. :(

When you get it, DO NOT overtighten. Thats what I did and the adapter broke off and got stuck inside the schrader valve. Needless to say, I had to order new fuel rails and the new ones did not have a shrader valve so I am still stuck trying to figure out a way to hook my fuel pressue gauge without replacing the fuel rails again. :(

Will do. That would majorly suck if that happened. I just ordered that fitting. Hopefully it'll be here before the weekend. I really want to see the fuel pressure readings before and after the Focus pump install just to be sure everything is like it's supposed to be.

Sneaky, keep us posted with numbers when ur finished!!

Ive got my stock fuel rails from my 02 GT with shrader valve for sale if anybody needs them. PM me.

Sneaky, keep us posted with numbers when ur finished!!

Will do.

Got my adapter for the fuel pressure gauge sending unit this weekend. Got it installed and everything is working nicely with no leaks. How much fuel pressure is the car supposed to have? It was making about 30-31 psi at idle or cruising, and about 39 psi at WOT. Sound about right?

Also got some of the miscellaneous items I'll need for the install. Cobra injectors and Lightning MAF were delivered on Friday; got 8 NGK TR55GP plugs; intake manifold gaskets; idler pulley for s/c; also ordered a Stack Racing 75 mm throttle body. Unfortunately never got around to getting the Focus fuel pump on; hopefully gonna get it on on Thursday and start on the supercharger on Friday.

Anyone know how where to get a coupler to mount the intake tube to the Lightning MAF? For reference, it is going from 4" on the MAF to 3" on the intake tube.

Also, would it be ok just to make a bracket to mount the stock air-box onto the Lightning MAF? I assume it would be, but I didn't know if the fact that the stock box outlet is a decent amount smaller than the Lightning MAF inlet would make any difference, or if it would cause turbulence or something like that.

Well, got started on Thursday. I have a decent amount of pictures, but I left the camera up at the shop, and I'm too lazy to go get it right now. So pictures will have to wait until tomorrow.

Got the Focus fuel pump on late Thursday night. Wasn't too big of an ordeal. Having known what I know now, I would have just gone ahead and disconnected all the fuel lines, but at the time I didn't think I would have to. I was wrong. Woulda saved a good bit of time, but no biggie. There was tons of little tedious crap that annoyed me a few times, like fuel lines being really stubborn and not disconnecting, or the filler tube not wanting to pull out of the tank. I still don't know how I managed to not drop any of those itty bitty screws down into the tank. Anyway, going by the fuel pressure gauge, everything seems to be fine, and is the same as it was with the stock pump, if not just a tiny bit more.

Started on the tear down after lunch today. Had it completely apart and cleaned up and ready to go in a couple of hours. Stuck the blower up on the heads and got it nicely lined up only to realize that I need shorter bolts to hold the blower onto the heads. So finding/getting some bolts is the first thing on the list of things to do tomorrow. Also have to get a longer fuel line for the front crossover between the rails. Anyone know where to get that kind of fuel line?

We also went ahead and stuck the alternator up there just to see how everything is going to go. We started out thinking we were going to have to make a bracket for the bottom ear of the alternator, and the supercharger idler pulley, to mount to. But we decided that the other two bolts will more than sufficiently hold the alternator on, and we can just use that bottom ear to mount the pulley to and be done with it. No bracket making required. Way simpler, and appears that it'll work just fine. Gonna work on it tomorrow.

Still have to make a bracket for the throttle cable and the EVR solenoid, but they shouldn't be hard to do. They are only a couple of small, thin pieces of flat metal with a few holes drilled in them. Nothing I can't handle. I hope.

Also realized/discovered that the Lightning MAF will actually bolt straight up to the stock filter box. I thought it was a size larger and that I was gonna have to make an adapter for it, but apparently not. Time saved.

More updates tomorrow. Current plan is to get it tuned at Fastlane on Thursday afternoon.

Well, I've finally found some time to upload some pictures and update on everything. Here we go.

Got the SVT Focus fuel pump in on Thursday night. Here's the focus assembly and pump disassembled.
1002172.jpg

Lowered the tank. Is pretty simple to do. Just remove the three bolts on the straps, and unbolt the filler tube.
1002174n.jpg

Here's the fuel hat bolted to the fuel tank. You first need to remove the fuel lines with a fuel line disconnect tool. Then take the 6 bolts holding the fuel hat onto the tank out, and remove the hat.
1002176l.jpg

Then you have to remove the top from the fuel assembly down in the tank. First remove the plug from the fuel pump itself, then remove the 5 screws around the top of the top. There are two tabs left on the outside that you have to push in and the top will pop right off. Now you can remove the fuel pump and replace with the Focus one. Here is what it looks like when you take the top off.
1002181vx.jpg

Here are the two pumps side by side, with the Focus one on the right. Notice that they look identical and not to get them mixed up.
1002183k.th.jpg

Now reverse order and put it all back together.
1002184o.jpg

Now onto the supercharger install.

I forgot to take a picture of the stock engine bay, but we all know what one of those looks like anyway. Here's one with the intake tube, alternator, water pump pulley, all the PCV, and all the vacuum stuff removed. Also have to remove plug wires, fuel injectors, and fuel rails.
1002193m.jpg

Don't have any pictures of this step either, but next thing to do is remove the upper intake plenum/throttle body. Remove the throttle cable and cruise cable. Also unbolt the EGR tube on the driver side of the plenum. Take the 5 bolts off and remove the plenum.

Then have to remove the lower intake manifold. Take the water hose off the front driver side, and the rear passenger side. Then take the 11 bolts holding it on off and remove the manifold. Pretty simple to do. Clean up the heads and now is a good time to do the spark plugs as well.

Next up is putting the supercharger on. First make sure the gaskets are on and held in place with the tabs. We did it with three people; two people lifted the supercharger, and one person held all the wires and EGR stuff out of the way best they could. It worked pretty well. The bolts needed to bolt the supercharger down are 8mm x 35mm. I used 40mm bolts and a washer, and they worked fine.
1002195f.jpg

Next up was to make a bracket for the DFPE (I think that's the name). Just used a piece of flat metal, drilled a hole in the bottom to use in the stock bracket's location, and two holes in the top to hold the sensor. Not too hard to do.
1002198b.jpg

I then had to make a bracket for the EGR valve solenoid (I think). There were a couple of holes to use on the supercharger. Bracket was pretty easy to make. In this picture, it actually turned out to be in the way of the cruise control cable, so I actually moved it slightly from how it is in this picture. I'll grab a picture of it in the morning.
1002201.jpg

Now for probably the hardest part of the project. Making a bracket for the supercharger idler pulley/for the alternator to bolt to. I used a piece of 1/8 flat metal bolted to a water pump bolt and a timing cover bolt. I then drilled a 5/16 hole where the alternator leaf bolt hole is. Next welded a round piece of solid metal over top of that hole in order to give rigidity in the direction that the idler would want to move. Then drilled a 5/16 hole straight through that piece of metal.
1002202.jpg

Next found and cut a round piece of metal just big enough to fill up up the inside of the idler pulley (which is the same as a regular idler or tensioner pulley). Drilled a 5/16 hole through that piece of metal as well. Now a 5/16 bolt about 3 inches long will go through the small piece of round metal (which is inside the pulley as a bushing), the large round piece of metal, the 1/8 flat metal, and the alternator leaf hole, with a nut on the back. Also put washers inbetween components as necessary to shim it all to where I wanted it.
1002205.jpg

This is where that bracket goes.
1002206v.jpg

The alternator is also held by this shake brace:
1002208.jpg

And this bolt through the coil pack mounting bracket:
1002207q.jpg

I kinda had to play around with all the washers and how I held it in order to get the alternator pulley aligned just right with the others. When I had it where I wanted it, I tighten all three bolts up, starting with the shake brace, then the coil pack bracket bolt, then the bottom bolt holding the idler pulley up. And here's what it looks like when it's all bolted up.
1002209l.jpg

I was surprised at how solid and nicely aligned everything is. I am kinda proud of myself actually, lol. I've done lots of welding/fabrication type work on the farm, but nothing this small/precise. All the stuff I've done before has been, "Oh, get it within an inch or two and we'll beat it into place." Can't exactly do that here....lol, and like I said, I am surprised at how nicely it has worked out.

Today, I also got the throttle cable bracket made. Also did some splicing on the existing vacuum harness for the extra 2 vacuum fittings on the supercharger. Put the new 75 mm throttle body on as well. Pretty much all I have left is the plug wires, fuel injectors/rails, and plugging all the wires back in. I got a belt today, but it was about 1.5 inches too short, but Advance has one in stock that is 2.5 inches longer than the one I currently have, so hopefully it'll work. I'm going to get it tomorrow morning.

Also have to do something about the PCV stuff. The stock tube(s) won't work with the blower, so I'm thinking about just running some hoses across to where they need to go. Anything wrong with that? I don't really see anything wrong with it.

Hopefully gonna get it cranked up tomorrow.

Well, no pictures up today, but the car is running and running well. I do have one question.

Where do you put your line for a boost/vac gauge? Or is there anywhere that would give bad boost readings?

I ask because the most boost the gauge has showed so far was about 2 and a half pounds of boost. Granted I haven't really gotten on it too much on account of it pinging (quite audibly), I would have thought that a short amount of time near WOT with the torque converter locked up and the car under a load that it would have read more than 2 or so pounds of boost. I know my grandma's Lightning at about 12 pounds of boost will make almost all of those 12 pounds under similar conditions. Granted the Lighting is making twice the boost I am, it is also a good bit louder at a low RPM under load than mine seems to be.

The supercharger is relatively audible when making boost. I hit it in 2nd at about 4000 rpm for just a very short time, and the whine was very noticeable.

Because of the fact that I can hear the supercharger pretty well, I was thinking that the low boost readings could be due to a bad gauge reading for some reason. FYI, the vacuum side of the gauge seems to be working perfectly.

Any thoughts? I am getting it tuned on Thursday, and if something is wrong, I need to fix it tomorrow.

what time is the dyno tune on thursday? i may be able to swing by on my lunch break

BTW we are going to a TNT at the drag strip after work on thursday night about 15 min from fastlane if you're interested in heading out with us. i MAY even take my car out there:D

is your gauge on 0 when the car is off?

Nevermind, got it fixed. Turned out that I had the boost/vac gauge hose in the wrong spot. I originally had it on the nipple used for vacuum diagnostics. The vacuum part of the gauge worked fine there, but apparently the boost part doesn't. So I moved it over to a hose coming directly off the top of the supercharger, and voila. Everything works perfectly now.

It's actually making upwards of 8 pounds of boost, which makes me happy. More power for me.

what time is the dyno tune on thursday? i may be able to swing by on my lunch break

BTW we are going to a TNT at the drag strip after work on thursday night about 15 min from fastlane if you're interested in heading out with us. i MAY even take my car out there:D

is your gauge on 0 when the car is off?

Got it fixed actually. See post above.

It's at 1:30. It'd be great if you came by; I wouldn't mind to meet you.

I doubt I'll go out that night. I've got some stuff I do at home on Thursday nights, not to mention that I have a feeling traction is going to be a BIG issue with me. :D Although I may go out one night with you guys; I'd love to see your car in person and possibly see it run.