sneaky98gt Progress Build: FRPP/SVO Blower Install

• Sponsors (?)

car made some good numbers.:nice: i'm sure he'll post up in a few min.

Will, it was good to meet you today maybe you can make it out to the track or some dyno days sometime soon!

Thanks man! Good meeting you too. I'd love to go out with y'all to the track one night. I really want to see your car, and I REALLY want to see Fastlane's car.

good numbers man, especially with a auto!!!!

now go get some track times:nice:

Thanks! I was definitely surprised at the numbers. I mean, with those numbers through an auto, I'm probably close to 400 fwhp, probably a solid 375. That's what had me most surprised; I would have expected these numbers with a 5 speed, but never though the slush box.

I plan on going to the track sometime soon, hopefully before it warms way up. Probably not before I get some drag radials. Gonna use my tax refund for that.

i meant to tell you before you left that my buddy has some PI heads and cams if you're interested.

I might would be, but the blower is made for NPI heads. I guess I could get them port matched, but that probably won't happen anytime soon. Maybe one day, lol.

Congrats, Will!

Thanks Mark! You gotten the Z to run like you want it to yet?

Hmmm you really have me curious about one of those now will. I may consider one of those instead of a vortech or a paxton.

Yea, I like the roots style better, which is why I went this route. I'm pretty sure that an intercooled Vortech or Paxton will make more power, but, the low end torque that this blower makes along with the near instantaneous throttle response is hard to beat. My car being a daily driver and only seeing the track a couple of times a year, I take torque and fun over a little bit more power any day.

My car put down great numbers, regardless. Vortech has their high output, intercooled 10 psi supercharger for the NPI GTs rated at 323 fwhp, which isn't even 300 on the rear wheels. Granted some exhaust and PI cams will help out a lot, my car still did really good for 7 psi, stock NPI heads, and stock PI cams.

That brings up a little side note I found kinda fishy. I read on another forum that the PI cams were worse in a NPI headed blower car than the NPI cams are. Something about the PI cams having less duration. I find that kinda hard to believe, and very seriously doubt the numbers I made could be had with NPI cams. IMO, PI cams FTW.

Only big advantage the centris have is that they are intercooled, and are plenty capable of upgrading. I'm making 7ish psi, and there isn't much more I can do without some methanol or giggle juice.

Yea, I like the roots style better, which is why I went this route. I'm pretty sure that an intercooled Vortech or Paxton will make more power, but, the low end torque that this blower makes along with the near instantaneous throttle response is hard to beat. My car being a daily driver and only seeing the track a couple of times a year, I take torque and fun over a little bit more power any day.

Congrats on the numbers ... and glad you're set-up exceeded your expectations. It's great lil' blower and built for exactly that .... daily driving ... fun ... enjoy it for miles and miles!!! :nice:

I've enjoyed mine on the 98 for many miles.

sure there is!! its called a 2" pulley lol

Yea, plus methanol. The tuner told me that the blower is close to it's limits being non-intercooled, and that he wouldn't spin it much more without some methanol. I still may do that one day.

Congrats on the numbers ... and glad you're set-up exceeded your expectations. It's great lil' blower and built for exactly that .... daily driving ... fun ... enjoy it for miles and miles!!! :nice:

I've enjoyed mine on the 98 for many miles.

Thanks man! It's just so much fun to run up to speed at about half throttle pumping about 4 pounds of boost, the blower just is whining a little bit, and 60 comes real quick. So much fun. I didn't realize you had one on your car. What kind of numbers did you make?

Well, drove back to school this past Sunday; all highway driving at about 78-79 mph in about 45 degree weather, got right at 25 mpg. The best I've gotten pre-blower was 26 mpg, and that was cruising at about 68 mph. So I am basically getting the exact same mpg as I was before the blower. Thanks Fastlane!!!!

Also, to finish up the progress, I need to add a couple of final things that I had to do to get the blower on.

First off is the serpentine belt. I finally got one that would fit, and it is 111.5 inches. Also, the belt will hit the driver side coil pack mounting bracket. It just barely will hit, but a little modification is required. I marked the bracket where the belt was hitting it, and just used a bench grinder to grind it down till the belt will no longer hit it. Also used a sawzaw to cut the little ear off the top corner of the bracket; it isn't used for anything. Not a big deal, but has to be done.
Here is the ear cut off. Sorry for the bad picture quality.
1002261i.jpg

Here is a picture of the belt and bracket after I ground it down.
1002262.jpg

Also had to make a throttle cable bracket. It was a very ugly and aggravating piece to make, but I finally did it. Hard to explain, but here are a couple of pictures so that you get the idea.
1002266g.jpg
1002267.jpg

Had to make/put on a water coolant hose (this is the one between the firewall and front passenger side of the supercharger). A couple pieces of 1/2 inch hose, one elbow, and 4 clamps later, and it was on there. No big deal.

Radiator hose was the same ordeal. I actually just cut/shortened my stock radiator hose and put an elbow in between. Works perfectly.

Had to put a new piece of hose on the front fuel rail crossover. One 18 inch piece of fuel injection fuel hose and 2 clamps later, and that problem was solved.

There was also some vacuum tubing re-routing/splicing that had to be done. Nothing too hard, and you can figure it out on your own pretty easily. I just used some 5/32s vacuum hose and some T's of the same size to do any splicing I needed to.

Same goes for the IAC tube and PCV tubing hoses. Just had to cut a few pieces of hose the length I needed. No big deal.

A picture of everything completely done.
1002265p.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions about this that you need.

2 Questions, Will.

1. Can you get a video maybe of inside, outside of the car. Then maybe a ride along?

2. When are going back to the track. I would really like to see what your car does.

Yea, plus methanol. The tuner told me that the blower is close to it's limits being non-intercooled, and that he wouldn't spin it much more without some methanol. I still may do that one day.

Thanks man! It's just so much fun to run up to speed at about half throttle pumping about 4 pounds of boost, the blower just is whining a little bit, and 60 comes real quick. So much fun. I didn't realize you had one on your car. What kind of numbers did you make?

Kit only .... no other mods ... the '98 made 305rwhp and 345rwtq with the 9lb pulley. Not earth shattering but very fun. I also noticed no dip in MPG after installation. Heck, I took it from Fl to Ca 8 months later. Avg 26-28MPG @ 70mph on cruise. :nice:

2 Questions, Will.

1. Can you get a video maybe of inside, outside of the car. Then maybe a ride along?

2. When are going back to the track. I would really like to see what your car does.

Yea, I can get a video, but it's gonna have to wait until later next week. I'm at school in the big city of Raleigh, and there's no good place to get on it a little bit. I'll be home Wednesday, though, and I can get some then.

Current plan is to go on April 24. The club here at NC State is going on that day, and I have some arguments to settle. :D I'm also going to go ahead and start looking around for some drag radials to go on my stock aluminum wheels. It's hard for me to say because I haven't been around that many fast cars (relatively), but with traction, I think 12's should come pretty easily with good weather. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Kit only .... no other mods ... the '98 made 305rwhp and 345rwtq with the 9lb pulley. Not earth shattering but very fun. I also noticed no dip in MPG after installation. Heck, I took it from Fl to Ca 8 months later. Avg 26-28MPG @ 70mph on cruise. :nice:

That's still impressive considering how bad NPI heads and cams are. If I was running 70 mph, I think I would get about the same mpg. And yes, the car is very very fun. Only thing for me that would make it more fun would be 3 pedals instead of 2. :)

BTW .... good to see another State student rocking that blower unit .... graduated '93 ... Go Wolfpack!!!

Yea, I'm loving State so far. Their engineering program really is a good one.

2 Questions, Will.

1. Can you get a video maybe of inside, outside of the car. Then maybe a ride along? .

Ask, and ye shall receive.

YouTube - 1998 Mustang GT FRPP/SVO Supercharger 0-60

I'm getting about 4.6-4.7 seconds to 60. :eek: And that's on 255 street tires with it about 85 degrees outside. I didn't really expect that.

US 1 is a great place to do a couple of pulls. take it out past Apex and it is wide open with guardrails all the way down. (no turn around areas, lots of exits and back roads) that was the place for late night racing a few years back. another place is off exit 284 on I40. go past the airport and it will dead end with a nice 4 lane road at globe road. you have about a mile stretch that is deserted on the weekends. that was where i ran the leingenfelter C6 Z06 when i first built my car. I540 is pretty safe also. of course i would not break any speed limits doing this. i'm sure you just want to see how fast you can get to 60 mph. :D BTW this is just what i have heard. i would NEVER break the speed limit on my car!

US 1 is a great place to do a couple of pulls. take it out past Apex and it is wide open with guardrails all the way down. (no turn around areas, lots of exits and back roads) that was the place for late night racing a few years back. another place is off exit 284 on I40. go past the airport and it will dead end with a nice 4 lane road at globe road. you have about a mile stretch that is deserted on the weekends. that was where i ran the leingenfelter C6 Z06 when i first built my car. I540 is pretty safe also. of course i would not break any speed limits doing this. i'm sure you just want to see how fast you can get to 60 mph. :D BTW this is just what i have heard. i would NEVER break the speed limit on my car!

I know exactly where you're talking about on 1....:D

Nice video, it is definitely moving pretty well.

Ben, your GT couldn't even break the speed limit...:D

Thanks man!

His car might, might, break the limit if it was like 45 or below...:rlaugh: :D