snow

Ruckus46Gt

Nov 26, 2003
Long Island
It started to snow today and the roads were covered so I took my 00 gt out for a "test". If I brought the rpms anywhere over 1500rpms the car would get assey and you can not even lightly touch the pedal. like resting your foot gently on the pedal is the most you can do and if you leave the traction control on all it does is stay on and is that good for you engine. If I drove it and the light was on under my speedo saying no traction and my car felt bogged down like it does would i flood anything or mess anything up. Any ideas on how to improve its handling in the snow. I owe 13k on my stang so i cant afford a beater. Do studded tires help? Are they legal in Ny(Long Island)?

• Sponsors (?)

Its not going to harm anything. The ECU will keep the fuel pressure where it needs to be so dont worry about flooding the motor. What kind of tires are you running ? The tires are whats going to make the difference here as to how much traction you can get. I remember when I had the stock Goodyears, I could drive across ice even and still get through it. Now with the Bridgestone Potenza's, I dont even try to drive in any snow. I tried that once. Key word is once. I got stuck and couldnt move. Just showing the night and day difference between tires in the snow.

i would suggest getting some 16" v6 wheels and some blizzaks or some other decent winter tires, you'll save your 17" rims and tires from winter and get much better traction

I just don't drive in the snow...luckily we don't get enough down here to make it a problem, and even still, my apartment is close enough to campus to walk if I have to.

I'd either get some v6 wheels and snow tires or just add weight to the arse end of your car if I was you. I know my Z-rated Dunlop SP2000's suck big time in the snow. I tried to drive a couple miles in it last winter (home from campus) and the damn car didn't want to turn, accelerate or anything. Wheels would just spin even if you barely tapped the throttle. I was going about 10 mph when I came up to the entrance of my apt. complex and tried to turn in and ended up going straight with the wheels turned :bang:...not cool.

These cars = definitely not engineered for snow.

The first thing I do is hit the "Trac Control Off" button. I HATE that goddamned system. If it's so slick that the car's gonna come all the way around instantly, it won't catch it in time anyway. And if not, and I'm trying to get across and intersection quickly, I DON'T want it cutting all the power on me. I can manage the rear end slide no problem. But, leaving it on doesn't hurt the engine any - as someone alluded to above, it just cuts back your timing and/or gas to limit the engine output - sometimes severely.

I grew up practicing 2 and 4 wheel drifts on deserted side streets any time we got a decent snow. Seriously...from about 15 or 16 years old on, a good friend of mine or I would show up at the other's house, and we'd spend the whole evening sliding around town. Good practice for when you need it. I still do it from time to time. If you're comfortable with this approach, and with the car sliding around, just switch the damn thing off. If not (and I don't want to be responsible for getting you killed, so be conservative) follow the above advice and add some weight to the trunk, and make sure you've got good tires. Good tires are good advice whether you're gonna take it easy, and safely, or plan on slippin' and slidin'. A tire that's down to half it's effective tread life (i.e., still 3/16 to 1/4" of tread) has much less traction than a new tire. If my tires are getting very close to replacement time and winter's approaching, I replace them. Makes a world of difference.

Seriously...if you don't have a lot of practice sliding around on snow and ice, and you aren't comfortable with the idea - DON'T follow my approach - leave the traction control on. I don't wanna see someone get hurt trying something they're not comfortable/familiar with. But these cars CAN be driven in the snow just fine with a little skill, finesse, and experience. If you aren't comfortable yet, find an empty parking lot, and eventually some empty side streets where you aren't going to pile into other cars - moving OR parked - or pedestrians, and practice 'til you feel safe controlling the car through a 2 or 4 wheel drift on snow (at LOW speeds - 10, 15mph going into the turns). It's fun, and it's invaluable experience. Just try to avoid the eyes of the law. They frown on such learning experiences. And don't do what my brother (who has little experience horsing around in cars) did with his old Exploder. Don't put it into a drift in an empty lot, and notice too late that there's a light pole in the way. Sideways slides into lightpole bases can put SERIOUS wrinkles in your nice shiny car.

Of course, I learned how to handle a car in such conditions years ago, in my parents beater cars and my first beater cars...not in a nice several thousand dollar, 260 hp sporty car.

Or just park it. That's what lots of people do. (No fun in that, though.):D

Dark Knight GT said:

uhm, how about no, 95kobrah's got the right idea. Get those stock wheels off, and buy a set of cheap ass steel wheels and a good set of narrow ice/snow tires. Then throw a couple of 50lb sandbags in the trunk, leave the traction control on if you're not used to the car drifting, and you're all set.

:banana:

Buy some 15" wheels/tires for the winter like mentioned above, that's your best bet. Even if you buy the best 17" snow tire known to man it won't cut through snow and ice like a smaller, more narrow tire will. I have 15" (new take-offs) from a V-6 and I could go anywhere last winter with no trouble, I even did better than some 4X4's ... it's all in the tires and driver. I didn't have any extra weight in the trunk either, but it's a good idea to keep your tank full in the winter months ... that will help enough.

I won't be going anywhere today though ... I haven't bolted them on yet so instead of having fun I'll sit here and watch the snow cover my car until I do get them on. :D

Last fall I went on ebay a purchased a cheap set of used 95 mustang gt rims (16s) and had discount tires mount (4) Dunlop Wintersports M2. I paid less than 600 bucks for everything and my car was very good in the snow and on ice. I was able to accelerate faster off the line (not trying to race) in 3 inches of snow than a brand new taraus. I made it up my driveway which is a steep incline with over 3 inches of snow with no problem. You have to be easy on the gas because you can still break loose the tires if you are not careful. The biggest advantage to the snow tires is the stopping capabilities. Also, you need to get all four tires and not just the back 2 like some people do, remember that you need to steer and brake..that is why you need all 4.

bunny_power said:
uhm, how about no, 95kobrah's got the right idea. Get those stock wheels off, and buy a set of cheap ass steel wheels and a good set of narrow ice/snow tires. Then throw a couple of 50lb sandbags in the trunk, leave the traction control on if you're not used to the car drifting, and you're all set.

Ahh, Dark Knight agreed with 95kobrah...

I hear ya man,I live in Canada and my 98Gt has been parked for a month allready. I have a crappy little S10 Blazer I drive for the winter.I think I'm living in the wrong country! Winter sucks. I bought a snowmobile hoping it would help make the snow a little easier to live with but now I just have something else to fix. :(

so 17's with snow tires and some extra weight in the trunk wont work. If i buy rims for the winter that messes up my idea of using my 17s for the winter and buying white rims with a chrome lip (18's) for the summer.

bunny_power said:

In case if you didnt know, I was agreeing with 95kobrah. The "Im with stupid" sign doesnt mean youre disagreeing with someone. It means you agree with them in a sarcastic way. Just thought Ide clear that up so no one has the wrong idea.