So Another Oil Pressure Issue?

I've been looking around the forums and found issues similar, but mine has a twist. Basically, my oil pressure since I got the car not too long ago has always sat right at the bottom normal line, and I've always figured it was fine because it ran fine and I know the stock gauges are janky. However, for a bit now after I've been driving for a while and my car is warmed up(temperature never really goes over the second or middle line unless I'm sitting in traffic) when I go to stop at a light, and the RPMs go under 1000,the oil pressure completely drops. It still runs fine, but drops completely off, and will somewhat kick back up real quick but fall, until I give it gas and get the rpms above 1k again and then it's right where it usually is. Still running normal the whole time. The weird thing is though, if my car is doing this, and I shut it off, and then come back within 30 minutes of parking it and try to start it it'll crank, Rev up, and then rpms fall and die. It'll do this usually twice and then on the 3rd try will idle, but insanely rough, and I pretty much have to Rev it up to about 2k to get it to fall down and idle on its own. After that, when I get it going down the road it runs fine again.... Any ideas??? Any other symptoms that could go along with this?? Let me know if I can explain anything clearer.. Any help is appreciated!! I know the gauges are crap, but the barely idling part is what concerns me.

• Sponsors (?)

lol seafoam... good for a smoke plume but IMO not much more... Read the ingredients.

I would advise hooking up a real oil pressure gauge and see what reading you get. The stock sending units are known to be faulty.

Reactions: 2 users
Running Seafoam might help clean out old oil crud if there have been "extended intervals" between oil changes. They still sell motor flush for use right before oil changes, and before that, a quart of Kerosene would be dumped in the pan and idled for a while to do the same thing. These treaents only help pressure drop from crud build up (and clogged, noisy lifters). But if the low pressure is from worn parts, a motor flush should not change anything but clean up parts for a nicer tear down experience.

Do you guys think the trouble starting is from oil pressure though?? I mean when it's running, and the oil pressure drops, there isn't even the slightest difference in idle, no difference at all. Just if I try starting it

Of course... the difference between a cold and a hot engine can often cause problems. Also electrical problems.
Maybe you should exchange your coolant sensor!!
Your engine isnt starting this good when its warm/hot yeah? 90 percent the coolant sensor is worn!
Use thicker oil... its never a bad choice. This should solve your pressure problem. And let a garage check your oil pressure. So youre on the safe side!

Reactions: 1 user
Of course... the difference between a cold and a hot engine can often cause problems. Also electrical problems.
Maybe you should exchange your coolant sensor!!
Your engine isnt starting this good when its warm/hot yeah? 90 percent the coolant sensor is worn!
Use thicker oil... its never a bad choice. This should solve your pressure problem. And let a garage check your oil pressure. So youre on the safe side!

That could make sense,,,,my coolant low light is on non stop despite the fact that im 110% itsfull, so ill check into that! If that has to do with the sensor that is...haha

It could be a chance to solve your problem, provided that your coolant sensor also sending the temperature signal to the motor controlling unit. If it doesnt, you have to change the coolant temperature sensor. It is probably placed at your coolant flange!

My factory oil pressure gauge always acted kinda funny since ive owned the car and I hated when it would fall towards the bottom, I finally figured out that it had an incorrect Factory style sending unit, replaced it and it reads correctly.