so i cut my springs today!!

• Sponsors (?)

i agree.. people say its bad but have they ever tried it? if it is dont the right way you can get very good results. My car handles a little better and looks better. It DOES NOT ride anymore diffrent that stock as far as the ride goes. So until you try it or get a good reason cutting springs is bad. move on

i agree.. people say its bad but have they ever tried it? if it is dont the right way you can get very good results. My car handles a little better and looks better. It DOES NOT ride anymore diffrent that stock as far as the ride goes. So until you try it or get a good reason cutting springs is bad. move on

I think I paid $250 for my eibach pro-kit..... but yeah, cut away if you want i guess...

Based on the numbers you quoted your spring rate went from 180lbs/in to 193lbs/in that's definitely more than a slight change lol.

We cut the springs in my friends Scoupe since it was a beater parts car. Took off only 1 coil and it went from riding like a Hyundai to riding like a 1908 Model T with the springs replaced by solid chunks of iron. It was awesome if you liked roller coaster rides. So yeah, as someone who HAS cut non-progressive rate springs... its not a good idea.

You could have just stuck a fat chick in the back, would have saved you from having to cut anything.

But anywho, glad you haven't noticed any change in ride quality :D.

Here is the best picture of Scoupe springs I could find: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-H...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Notice the spring is tapered and that the coils are progressively further apart. That is a progressive rate spring. Also, it only has 7 coils, so hacking off a whole coil makes a BIG difference. That is called a hack job.

Now, look at these mustang springs: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Notice the coils are spaced linearly and there is no taper. Also notice, there are nearly 9 coils to start with in the front. Taking off 1/2 coil from 9 is not going to make a huge difference. While they were imaginary numbers, going from 180 to 193 is sitll only a 7% increase. I bet that the Eibach kit increases the spring rate more than that just to keep the car from bottoming out, because it sits much lower than a correctly trimmed spring.

Based on the numbers you quoted your spring rate went from 180lbs/in to 193lbs/in that's definitely more than a slight change lol.

We cut the springs in my friends Scoupe since it was a beater parts car. Took off only 1 coil and it went from riding like a Hyundai to riding like a 1908 Model T with the springs replaced by solid chunks of iron. It was awesome if you liked roller coaster rides. So yeah, as someone who HAS cut non-progressive rate springs... its not a good idea.

You could have just stuck a fat chick in the back, would have saved you from having to cut anything.

But anywho, glad you haven't noticed any change in ride quality :D.

I actually did quite a bit of reading on the pro's and con's of cutting my stock springs. I ended up deciding it was going to be just fine for me. I cut 3/4 of a coil in the back and 1 full coil in the front. I added MM caster/camber plates and headed straight for the alignment shop. That was 2 years ago and I've experienced zero negative effects. Ride height is spot on and ride quality was not affected enough for me to notice whatsoever.

Usually the folks that tell you the sky will fall if you cut your springs are the folks that just paid $200 to achieve the same thing I did for free. I'm not flaming anybody, just calling it as I see it. That's hard to swallow for some.:nice: