So I get pulled over and it ends up with a cop car burnout...

Nah, the P71 and P72 Sport (AKA the SAP, if it's got the 17-inch rims, center console, and duals) are pretty close in specs, overall. The only differences unique to the P71 - alum. matrix driveshaft, different rear swaybar, no speed limiter, 140 MPH speedo, cloth bucket seats, etc. - make zippo difference in performance, generally. Gearing was as high as 3.55 for one or two years - the '99 models, IIRC - but agencies whined that it ate too much gas with that steep of a gear, so they went back to the same 3.27's they've had for darn near forever (and still do). Torque, HP, torque converters, programming, suspension, etc. are all going to be pretty much identical between a P71 and an SAP/HPP P72 (any model with duals, larger rims, and fatter sway bars).

All that said, the only reason one model might be easier to get some wheelspin from (or to powerbrake) is almost entirely going to be found in the difference in tires and tire sizes. Excluding the HPP and SAP models, the civillian Panthers have slightly narrower tires, but the P71's are usually found with those hard-as-rock junk fleet tires. Saying that one model is easier to do burnouts with than another model is a complete toss-up because of that variance, alone.

FWIW, my '94 CVPI was pretty inconsistent with burnouts. When I was running Firehawk SS20's, I could nail it from a stop and barely get a chirp sometimes, and other times get nothing at all; with the po-po "pursuit" tires it came with, I could stand on the gas and just barely apply a little bit of brake and roast the right-rear alllllllll day long, and certainly get more spin from a dead-stop takeoff than with the Firehawks. Bear in mind, this is on the old non-PI 4.6L motor with 160k+ miles on the clock and a desperate need for new valve guide seals (the usual puff o' blue on every other takeoff).

I'm sticking with my belief the cop could, technically, do a burnout in a fully duty-equipped P71. However, I'm also sticking with my belief that the cop is a butthole for doing something like that when we all know darned well he'd just as soon bust someone else the second he caught them doing the same. :D

• Sponsors (?)