So, I have this '68 Mustang that I want to repaint...

Hey everyone. I'm a regular over at 4.6L talk but I also have a '68 in additon to my '02 vert.

It's got the turn-signal hood, and I was wondering that if I painted it and had racing stripes (typical Shelby pattern) painted on also, would it look strange given the "scoops" existing in the hood already?

Yay for run-on sentences.... Anyway, I appreciate the replies from people who've either SEEN a '68 turn-signal hooded Mustang with stripes or have one themselves! Pictures would be even better :)

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

well there are a couple of ways you can do this. some mustangs had stripes painted on that ended at the turn signal scoops and didn't go any further forward than that and i think those look good. the reguar shelby stripes would not look IMO, i have seen some cars painted that way and the stripes don't jibe with the indentions in the TS hood.

I was kinda afraid of that response.

1320stang, I looked at Kevin's car, and I just don't like the way that it looks.

I am guessing that no one has done full racing stripes with that hood, either. Hmmmm... Maybe I'll just buy an Eleanor hood, weeee.

If there's any more input you guys have feel free!

I've seen a car with the stripes that went thru the turn signals, I didn't car for it, it looked weird, only one I've ever seen. Every other car that had stripes had them like Kevin's, some went over the roof and down the back.

As far as you looking at Kevin's stripes, you can't see them from behind the car anyway. :D

02GTdroptop said:
So pretty much the only way for it to look right is to start at the "hood scoops" like Kevin, and have them run over the roof and the back. Alrighty. :)

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, the turn signals on the hood are far apart. The stripes will look OK on the hood but when you run them over the top and to the trunk, they are too far apart IMHO.

Naw, you can do whatever you want, but Geo is right, to run them the full length, the stripes are too wide apart, looks sorta ricey. If you run the normal Shelby stripes, the vents stick out of the side. That's about the only stripe treatment you can do, it looks killer with the C stripes.

Now, another option for you would be a flat hood with the little bolt on scoop, ala '68 1/2 CJ or to put a bolt on Boss 429 scoop that you can cut a hole in the flat hood for carb and/or aircleaner clearance. A 'glass '67 Shelby hood always looks good with or without stripes.

WOW!! Yes, that is PERFECT!

If I were to ask a body shop for a stripe treatment, what would that be called? I LIKE it, rsev!!

Thanks for all the help guys. Paint is such a committment and I am spending $10k on it so, I want it to be done perfectly.

Thanks again.

02GTdroptop said:
WOW!! Yes, that is PERFECT!

If I were to ask a body shop for a stripe treatment, what would that be called? I LIKE it, rsev!!

Thanks for all the help guys. Paint is such a committment and I am spending $10k on it so, I want it to be done perfectly.

Thanks again.
I'm not sure what it is called. Send my son an email - [email protected] and he will give you the details.:nice: