So I noticed this when I was filling up..

KBExperience

Jun 21, 2009
Houston
The puddle is definitely gas.. Is there an o-ring or something that needs to be replaced?

0915fbed.jpg

Thanks Guys

• Sponsors (?)

Check the filler tube, mine was rusty where there is a piece of plastic wrapped around it. It could also be the doughnut gasket where the filler tube goes into the tank.

Either way, you have to pull the gas tank to fix.

Gasket where the filler tube goes into the tank? Its a hose, clamped to a tube that is welded to the tank, no gasket.

Anywho, you may have a rusted filler neck, rotted hose or the breather tube is split.

The one on the fuel pump hat, right? Yeah, thats a common problem. There is not (to my knowledge but I only had a dozen stangs) a gasket on the tank where the fill tube goes in.

The one on the fuel pump hat, right? Yeah, thats a common problem. There is not (to my knowledge but I only had a dozen stangs) a gasket on the tank where the fill tube goes in.

Well, there is one, had to replace it on my stang a while back. Its a rubber grommet that goes between the filler neck and the fuel tank because that are two separate units.

Here's the listing at latemodelresto, but I just got mine at ford for cheap, but you have to drop the tank, so make sure its close to empty.

1999-04 Mustang Fuel Tank Filler Grommet by Ford at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

I stand corrected! I r teh dumb. Been working on Marks and T-Birds as of late and got the two tanks confused. Just looked at a pic when I dropped the tank on my 96 Cobra and sure enough, there it is.

Sorry OP and others, my bad!

Check the filler tube, mine was rusty where there is a piece of plastic wrapped around it. It could also be the doughnut gasket where the filler tube goes into the tank.

Either way, you have to pull the gas tank to fix.

+1 on this, had to replace the filler tube on ours and then turn around and put a new pump in because it had sucked some of the rust into it.

Yup, the rubber grommet where the filler neck goes into the tank. I replaced mine a little while back. It might have taken 30 minutes, no big deal really. Just lube up the grommet with some WD-40 or the like to make it go back in more easily, because it can be a SOB to get back in place just right.

I just got to get up front and personal with this again. My fuel pump went out on Saturday so we had to drop the tank and replace the pump. Replaced the gasket again even though it was only a couple years old. The whole process of dropping the tank, replacing the pump, and putting it back in took 2 hours with someone helping. The filler gasket was $25 from the dealer, they just happened to have one in stock that day.

Well, I guess it's not just me having this issue. That's how I found these forums today. I've got an 01GT and when I bought it the guy told me it had a minor EVAP reading in relation to the Check Engine light and he replaced the fuel cap, and he said it came back on and he was told he needed the insert where ya put the gas nozzle when fueling up and he'd need to have it specifically cut for the car.
Needless to say it seems as if he either lied or talked to an cosmonaut (someone not from this universe) bc I've been online researching and it seems as if you have to get the whole "fuel filler neck."
Could mine be the grommet? Or would mine need the complete fuel filler neck assembly since it's reading a minor EVAP on computer?