So i spun my balancer off today...

Tally_4.6

Feb 26, 2006
Orlando
Today leaving the school parking lot i got on it for a second and right as i let off i see what looks like a pulley shoot out from under my car and into the grass. It shocked me for a minute but i didn't hear any weird noises or my car do anything funny so i naturally thought it was sitting in the road and ran it over with that being the reaction. I then proceeded to race a dude in class with a camaro which hopefully didn't do any damage but thats beside the point. When i got home i popped the hood and my jaw dropped, a lot of cussing ensued as well. So the pulley is still there but obviously the balancer is sitting in the grass at school. I've been looking for replacements or underdrive sets, lemme know what you guys think or have on your car. Hopefully none of these require an aftermarket belt, i just put a new one on recently.

Trick Flow Specialties TFS-34002 - Trick Flow® Underdrive Aluminum Pulley Kits - summitracing.com

March Performance 2250 - March Performance 4.6L Ford Pulley Kits - summitracing.com

• Sponsors (?)

Today leaving the school parking lot i got on it for a second and right as i let off i see what looks like a pulley shoot out from under my car and into the grass. It shocked me for a minute but i didn't hear any weird noises or my car do anything funny so i naturally thought it was sitting in the road and ran it over with that being the reaction. I then proceeded to race a dude in class with a camaro which hopefully didn't do any damage but thats beside the point. When i got home i popped the hood and my jaw dropped, a lot of cussing ensued as well. So the pulley is still there but obviously the balancer is sitting in the grass at school. I've been looking for replacements or underdrive sets, lemme know what you guys think or have on your car. Hopefully none of these require an aftermarket belt, i just put a new one on recently.

Trick Flow Specialties TFS-34002 - Trick Flow® Underdrive Aluminum Pulley Kits - summitracing.com

March Performance 2250 - March Performance 4.6L Ford Pulley Kits - summitracing.com

I wouldn't get any of those "piggy" back style pulleys. Steeda make a pretty good one. Pearl02.

it wouldnt run for long without overheating with no balancer. your belt would be off and you wouldnt have any of your accessories.

post some pics so i can see what your problem is

I'm pretty sure he has a piggyback style crank pulley now, and the balancer mounted to it flew off.

Get some pulleys with an integrated SFI balancer. Most companies already sell sets with the balancer, but most go with Steeda.

Stay away from that piggyback garbage. My dad had a BBK piggyback style under drive kit. His engine started to knock and ping. We replaced the piggyback crank pully with a March under drive full replacement piece and the engine started to run properly again.

I've had nothing but good exeriences with March. I've used their stuff on multiple cars and never had a problem.

I raced the guy after this happened, but it doesn't matter. I'll throw up some pics when i get home today 'cause i don't think you guys are getting it, all my pullies are stock. I might go with that Steeda kit, even tho money is ****in tight!

Racing in tallahassee = bad idea. Those are the most poorly maintained streets I've ever driven on. I went to FSU for my undergrad several years back. Potholes, awful curbs, drunk drivers galore, foolish drivers, etc. If you're going to thrash you car, take it to the track in Panama City or Jax. Both are only about 2 hours away. My buddy's roommate, back in college, got a very hefty ticket and had his car impounded for street racing. Those police there LOVE writing tickets for anything, I received three myself in my 4 year stay.

Only kids street race. Not trying to be rude, but its agains the law for a reason(dangerous to other let alone yourself). So are you saying that the balancer cracked and broke and the weight on the outside flew off?

Would you guys forget the street racing part, that had no bearing on this whatsoever 'cause "damage" happened beforehand.

I need to hurry up and post pics, hopefully tomorrow i will. The balancer part flew off, but obviously the crank pulley is still there cause i drove it home no problem. I guess the rubber gave way cause of its age after i applied a little torque to it.

Don't drive your car or even turn it on, or you may be making a post about your oil pump going out next.

Fragile stock pump - balancer = internal vibrations = broken pump = death of engine = rage = driving car off cliff = no cliffs in FL. but the ocean will do... get my point?

:D

you didnt notice the lack of power brakes and power steering on the way home?

sounds like you busted the keyway out and spun the balancer off!.. thats insane, good thing your motor loves you

If i'm not mistaken, the piggyback pully sits where the balancer is, and then the balancer attaches to the front side of the piggyback pully.

That way the belt is still lined up, but it is riding on the piggyback pully instead of the balancer.

So the balancer flew off, but the piggyback was still on as well as the belt.

This is hilarious, the area in red which is the outer part of the pulley separated by injected rubber actually slung off. I'm guessing cause of age and the rubber being dried up and cracked. I guess the belt somehow came back on using the tensioner, but i drove home no problem.

View attachment 289166

:jaw:wow ive only seen that with aftermarket dampers that freakin crazy:jaw: