So i've got a new idea for my next car!

nmcgrawj

Advanced Member
Sep 28, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
So i've been tossing around a lot of ideas as most of u know. I still like the idea of a CLK but those repairs have me scared! And i still want a trans am....but....i feel like there's a chance i'd regret it since u spend most of your time inside.

So i was thinking, instead of spending 12-15k on a car, why not spend 5-8k on a 94-98(either would be a vert, 96-98 would have to be the cobra i think) and maybe strap down a vortech to it and throw some new paint at it, maybe some sort of exotic orange?

If i spend 8k, i doubt i'd be able to do paint and a vortech, as paint would probably run $3k and i'd probably want to do a new hood, bumper, skirts.

I guess my point is, why not spend less on an older stang and fix her up to be uniquely "mine"? If u agree, then give me some suggestions on what route to take...including mods etc.:flag:

:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

find you a sixer for dirt cheap and really build it to be yours, lol

its a monster of a project but it could look the way YOU build it and have the motor YOU want in it.

thats just wat i would do if i had alot of money laying around. but then again after thinking for alittle bit....i would have to have ALOT of money laying around.lol

Well i do have an explore motor with a custom turbo cam and converted stud roller rockers sitting in my totalled car so getting a "cobra" would be pointless especially if im gonna change it cosmetically.....that is a 5.0 Cobra would be pointless.

Nate,

Berrylium copper is something that's been talked about alot in here, but that costs an insane amount.

HOWEVER!....you can find near matches that will pop just as much in the sunlight, for much much less, and if you know a body man, even better for you.

Now here's a new idea....find an el-cheapo 94/95...then (and this could be fun) aside from the paint and body work, use only aftermarket parts that you get from the guys on this forum. As your project goes on further, keep a list posted of all the parts and the guys on here that have helped you out on it. It'd be a team builder for sure...and I know some of the guys on here have lots of stuff lying around to hook you up with for cheap

i forgot you still had your wrecked car my sixer idea wouldnt be that bad if you already have a donor car it may even come out cheaper than buying a 5.0 and building it. just very very time consuming (but which build isnt)

Thats a good idea aaron, i wonder what ya guys got laying around!

i forgot you still had your wrecked car my sixer idea wouldnt be that bad if you already have a donor car it may even come out cheaper than buying a 5.0 and building it. just very very time consuming (but which build isnt)

A v6 swap would feel like building a completely new car....harness, computer, rear, brakes, fuel pump, blah blah blah.....wayyyyy too much for what im trying to do right now. I dont want to open up a can of worms right now. Thats why im thinking a blower + cosmetics might be a little easier...

if you can find one cheap enough that doesn't need any body work before going to paint, i'd say go for it.

that is not exactly what i did, but similar. my car was basically dead ... bad engine, interior in poor shape from use, ... so i decided that instead of scrapping it and getting a new car, i'd take $15K and make it "my car". the stroker motor and problems getting this tranny working really jacked my costs way up. in retrospect, if i had stayed with a 302 and a blower, i'd have been done so long ago and i'd have saved myself so much money, it wouldn't be funny. but the only regret i have is that it has taken so damn long. if i were doing it again though, i'd definately make a few different choices.

for your project, i'd guess something like this ... ?

5000 - prep and paint
1500 - do seats and carpet (maybe w/stereo upgrade)
1000 - new top
1000 - engine install (since you already have the engine)
3000 - buy and install blower

that leaves about 3500 for the car itself if you want to keep it under 15K.

it might be time to review this thread ...

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=702728

:cheers:

Buddy of mine has a 96 cobra that was repainted the copper color found on mazda's. It does look nice with the matalic look it has too. He bought the car painted and it had some black 03 cobra rims on it. He has since gone with the newer 18in roush rims and it looks really good.

A paint/body guy along time ago told me to go to car lots (ford/chevy/dodge/mazda/honda/ect) and look at color...not the car. Pay attention to the type of rims to to see if a polished rim or a satin rim looks better with that shade.