So what is worn and causing this? Steering...

85GTKid

Founding Member
Jun 6, 2001
Oregon
My car corners fairly well but if i try to drive in a straight line the steering is just really sloppy. It likes to wonder around on the road and prolly makes me look like a bad driver. What could be casusing this "sloppy Feelling" ? Its an 85 GT with 179000 miles. New shocks and lowered but only an inch. This problem was around before lowering.

• Sponsors (?)

Check the slop in the tie rod ends. With the car on jacks & steering wheel locked, try moving the tires right and left. Any slack is an indication of tie rod problems.

Most front end shops will do an inspection & give you and estimate for a low fee. Take what they tell you and decide if you want fix it or let them do it.

maverick0716 said:
Can you move the steering wheel back and forth an inch or two without the car turning? Mine seems to do that a little bit.

I had the same problem and took me forever to solve it. It ended up being the rag joint in the steering shaft. :nice: It is a rubber circular bushing on the shaft that you can see from the engine bay. I felt like a drunk when driving with the wheel moving 2 inches before any steering. :mad:

everyone gave great advice. ill add that if it all checks out alright, castor can cause the tires to follow ruts and wander over irregularities in general. the set up from the factory kinda sucks for dialing in castor. CC plates, as mentioned, are the answer.
good luck.

94SC50 said:
I had the same problem and took me forever to solve it. It ended up being the rag joint in the steering shaft. :nice: It is a rubber circular bushing on the shaft that you can see from the engine bay. I felt like a drunk when driving with the wheel moving 2 inches before any steering. :mad:

I hate driving my truck just for this reason...and I don't like narrow roads. But anyways, I can take my steering wheel and move it back and forth about two inches and it won't move.

_JB_ said:
But anyways, I can take my steering wheel and move it back and forth about two inches and it won't move.
then follow the advice of others: check tie rods for slop and the rag joint.
good luck.