Sold the mustang

super302 said:
I REALLY like the interiors in the ls1's....maybe i'm just weird :shrug:
oh ya, the radio controls on the steering wheel is cool too
yeah, i don't like them. the buttons they use suck, i think, and just the over-all appearance i don't like. i'll tell you what, though--t-tops kick ass! that, the ls1+drive train and the fascia are all they got right w/ the ws6 i think.

• Sponsors (?)

bimmertech said:
i have always heard that turbo cars backfire and break the shaft that connects the 2 rotors. i wouldn't be worried about engine(apex seal) life so much as i am worried about the shaft.

i also thought the 220hp version was N/A and the 251hp version was turbo'd?:shrug:

Na. There were no N/A version of the 3rd gens. They were all TT & rated at 255hp. The new RX-8 engine (Renesis) is N/A & rated at 238 hp for the 6 port (manuals) .... or 197 hp for the 4 port engine (autos).

The shaft you're talking about is the eccentric shaft (or e-shaft). I haven't heard of many people breaking them. They were probably doing something stupid to the car if it did. There's not many parts at risk here. There are only 3 major moving parts. The 2 rotors & the e-shaft.

They can be quick cars. The 3 rotor HAS torque. Abel Ibarra, for example, runs his 3 rotor RX-7 in the 1/4 in the 6's at over 200 mph.

SeventyMach1 said:
Na. There were no N/A version of the 3rd gens. They were all TT & rated at 255hp. The new RX-8 engine (Renesis) is N/A & rated at 238 hp for the 6 port (manuals) .... or 197 hp for the 4 port engine (autos).

The shaft you're talking about is the eccentric shaft (or e-shaft). I haven't heard of many people breaking them. They were probably doing something stupid to the car if it did. There's not many parts at risk here. There are only 3 major moving parts. The 2 rotors & the e-shaft.

They can be quick cars. The 3 rotor HAS torque. Abel Ibarra, for example, runs his 3 rotor RX-7 in the 1/4 in the 6's at over 200 mph.
:Word:

i saw a vid on streetfire of a 3rd gen with a N/A 4 rotor out of an old lemans car. man that thing sounded soooooooo badass.

bimmertech said:
:Word:

i saw a vid on streetfire of a 3rd gen with a N/A 4 rotor out of an old lemans car. man that thing sounded soooooooo badass.

Yeah, lol, they sound like chainsaws on steroids. If you like that .... I gotta couple of vids here ....

That 3 rotor 6 sec. run .... http://www.ddearborn.net/video/rx7/rotaryrecord.mpg

An N/A 4 rotor street car .... http://www.ddearborn.net/video/rx7/4rotor.mpg OMG (probably the 1 you saw .... low 10's in street attire)

Street 3rd gen. vs. Porsche 933 TT .... http://www.ddearborn.net/video/rx7/993vsrx7.mpg

Vs. 3000GT VR-4 .... http://www.ddearborn.net/video/rx7/dragRX7vs3000GT.WMV

And for those who don't really know how the rotary works .... this one will kind of give you an idea .... http://www.epoch-net.ne.jp/yasu/777/4re_001_b.wmv

bimmertech said:
i really like GM interiors as well. i think they are styled better than a mustang. my 95 T/A had better seats, better stereo, better instrument cluster, better door panels, etc... yes it rattled, but show me a stang that doesn't.

When do you want to come over?

F-Body's are junk. Fast? Absolutely, but they literally fall apart. Get the Lincoln LSC, get some 18" Cobra R's, and a blower.
Brandon

ROLLIN5.0 said:
F-Body's are junk. Fast? Absolutely, but they literally fall apart.
Brandon
i'm noy tryin to start ****, but when people say these types of things it usually means they have never owned one.

i have owned one and worked on them, and have this to say: all cars are junk if you don't take care of them.

i also own a 94gt and a 95 cobra, and i like them very much. but, if my old T/A had a 6spd i would not be on this forum right now. that fact is based on performance, cuz that is what matters to me--not the size of the radio buttons or the fact that the windshield has a rake to it. it hauls, handles, and brakes.

They do haul, handle, and brake. I like the feel of sitting in one better than sitting in my Mustang. I also like the red guages in the TA's, and love the 6-speed. What I don't like is the fact that they also have defective window motors (constant failure), the dash looks like it's going to jump in your lap everytime you hit a bump, they have no soundproofing, every piece of the interior rattles or squeeks, the rear end is garbage, they are prone to clutch failure, do you want me to keep going? They are what they are, and some people are OK with that. I, for one, would never recommend purchasing a vehicle that is put together as cheaply as the F-Body. It's plain and simple.
Brandon

ROLLIN5.0 said:
They do haul, handle, and brake. I like the feel of sitting in one better than sitting in my Mustang. I also like the red guages in the TA's, and love the 6-speed. What I don't like is the fact that they also have defective window motors (constant failure), the dash looks like it's going to jump in your lap everytime you hit a bump, they have no soundproofing, every piece of the interior rattles or squeeks, the rear end is garbage, they are prone to clutch failure, do you want me to keep going? They are what they are, and some people are OK with that. I, for one, would never recommend purchasing a vehicle that is put together as cheaply as the F-Body. It's plain and simple.
Brandon
Window motor...I have the original motor and my car is almost 8 yrs old. My old fox has windows that seem fast as lightning in comparison, but the TA does still work. The dash jumping in your lap....I don't know about that one, my dash has never jumped. The clutch is fine for a stock or slightly modded car. Rattles....no worse than a Mustang and subframes can really help that. The rear end is bad when you start wanting a lot of traction, but most Mustang owners also beef their rear end up with axles, gears, posi, cover.

mattkimsey said:
Window motor...I have the original motor and my car is almost 8 yrs old. My old fox has windows that seem fast as lightning in comparison, but the TA does still work. The dash jumping in your lap....I don't know about that one, my dash has never jumped. The clutch is fine for a stock or slightly modded car. Rattles....no worse than a Mustang and subframes can really help that. The rear end is bad when you start wanting a lot of traction, but most Mustang owners also beef their rear end up with axles, gears, posi, cover.
i've never heard of the dash deal either.:shrug:

i think you could go faster with the 10 bolt than you can a T5.

i have replaced 2 window motors in my 95, and 1 motor in my T/A.

as far as rattles, all cars have them. the f-bodies are no worse than a stang, nissan, bmw etc... cars get miles on them, and they rattle.

as far as them being put together so cheaply, i feel this statement is biased and uninformed. compared to other cars they are both put together cheaply.

i suggest that if someone wants a vehicle that is not put together cheaply, go buy a Maybach. cuz till you get to that point there is not a car out there that spares no expense in construction. i just replaced b-pillar trim panels in a 760LI($125k) today, they were peeling at 15k miles.

bimmertech said:

as far as rattles, all cars have them. the f-bodies are no worse than a stang, nissan, bmw etc... cars get miles on them, and they rattle.

as far as them being put together so cheaply, i feel this statement is biased and uninformed. compared to other cars they are both put together cheaply.

i suggest that if someone wants a vehicle that is not put together cheaply, go buy a Maybach. cuz till you get to that point there is not a car out there that spares no expense in construction. i just replaced b-pillar trim panels in a 760LI($125k) today, they were peeling at 15k miles.
:Word: I love Mustangs, but the fbodies are probably the best bang for the buck sporty/muscle cars on the road.

I gotta agree with GM interiors being up on ours...especially the new GM's(gto for ex.) Though i have never owned one so i dont know how it holds up or about rattles, but i do know that when i sat in the new GTO...i fell in love. I got out and saw the outside and threw up :lol:

bimmertech said:

I have been in atleast 10 F-body's, and there hasn't been one yet, where I didn't feel like the dash hit the bump before my seat (actually watch it move a split second before I do).
I find it humorous that I am the one being biased, yet you are the one defending the rattle box with defective window motors :D . Let me explain to you the difference between being built cheaply, and being built efficiently. When a company builds a car with the cheapest parts that they can find without sacrificing quality, they are building the car efficiently. When a company builds a car with the cheapest parts they can find regardless of quality, they are building the car cheaply. You can defend it all you want, but the second description is the path that GM took when building the F-body. It is NOT normal to have a part on a vehicle go out more than once over the life of the vehicle (on numerous examples of the same model). It is also NOT normal for a car to rattle. The F-body, and the FOX were both lacking quality design. That is why both cars rattle like a can of rocks. They do however serve their purpose. My 95 has 133k miles on it, and the car does not have any hint of a rattle. My 97 Expedition has 223k miles, no rattles. My 71 F-100 (35 years old), god only knows how many times the 5 digit odo has rolled over, no rattles. My Probe, 200k, and rattles like a can of rocks, but it serves it's purpose. The Probe is another example of a car built cheaply. In the last two years I have sold a 92 Lexus ES300 with 160k miles, no rattles, and a 99 Infiniti I30 with 129k, no rattles. You can say that you have been driving vehicles that are notorious for this, so you are used to it, but it is NOT normal. The car was built as cheaply as possible, because they knew that people like you would look past that, and see only the drivetrain, and aggressive design. The level of quality, or rather value (what you get for your money) is the main reason the 94+ Mustang outsold the F-body nearly 10-1, and ultimately lead to it's demise. Had the F-body not had some of it's notorious problems, it would have been worth the extra scratch to a lot more people, and would probably still be pounding the streets today. Do I own 4 Ford's? Yes. Am I biased toward them? I am biased toward vehicles that do not have defective parts, like the window motor listed above, and the fuel pumps GM chose for their 350 Vortec. I haven't had a Ford YET that has had a chronic defficiency. When I do, I can assure you that I will talk about it in the same manner, and will not purchase another that shares that element.
Brandon

ROLLIN5.0 said:
I have been in atleast 10 F-body's, and there hasn't been one yet, where I didn't feel like the dash hit the bump before my seat (actually watch it move a split second before I do).
I find it humorous that I am the one being biased, yet you are the one defending the rattle box with defective window motors :D . Let me explain to you the difference between being built cheaply, and being built efficiently. When a company builds a car with the cheapest parts that they can find without sacrificing quality, they are building the car efficiently. When a company builds a car with the cheapest parts they can find regardless of quality, they are building the car cheaply. You can defend it all you want, but the second description is the path that GM took when building the F-body. It is NOT normal to have a part on a vehicle go out more than once over the life of the vehicle (on numerous examples of the same model). It is also NOT normal for a car to rattle. The F-body, and the FOX were both lacking quality design. That is why both cars rattle like a can of rocks. They do however serve their purpose. My 95 has 133k miles on it, and the car does not have any hint of a rattle. My 97 Expedition has 223k miles, no rattles. My 71 F-100 (35 years old), god only knows how many times the 5 digit odo has rolled over, no rattles. My Probe, 200k, and rattles like a can of rocks, but it serves it's purpose. The Probe is another example of a car built cheaply. In the last two years I have sold a 92 Lexus ES300 with 160k miles, no rattles, and a 99 Infiniti I30 with 129k, no rattles. You can say that you have been driving vehicles that are notorious for this, so you are used to it, but it is NOT normal. The car was built as cheaply as possible, because they knew that people like you would look past that, and see only the drivetrain, and aggressive design. The level of quality, or rather value (what you get for your money) is the main reason the 94+ Mustang outsold the F-body nearly 10-1, and ultimately lead to it's demise. Had the F-body not had some of it's notorious problems, it would have been worth the extra scratch to a lot more people, and would probably still be pounding the streets today. Do I own 4 Ford's? Yes. Am I biased toward them? I am biased toward vehicles that do not have defective parts, like the window motor listed above, and the fuel pumps GM chose for their 350 Vortec. I haven't had a Ford YET that has had a chronic defficiency. When I do, I can assure you that I will talk about it in the same manner, and will not purchase another that shares that element.
Brandon

Which F-body are you talking about? All of them? 3rd gen? 93-97? 98+?

While there are a lot of reasons the GM's didnt sell...i think its basically because of the high price....and why was the price so high? Because of the parts used.

I know people who have non stop problems with the same Fords...then u also know people with GM's that have chronic problems...then there are the people that dont have a problem EVER with either. Luck of the draw i guess....

The only thing i dont like about the interior of the F-body is the huge hump in the passenger side floor. :nonono:

How is the GTO interior? I have never driven one, let alone ride in one. I know it looks and feels BAD ASS...much better than the 99-04 stangs, and probably the 05+ but i have not sat in one...just looked. And i still prefer the GTO look.