Solid or poly motor mounts?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, it depends on what you like. Solid motor mounts you will feel the motor a lot more. I like it when the car shakes from the lope of a cam, and I have MM solid mounts here and my car is going to be a street car. I am going with a poly trans mount to prevent stress on the tranny case. Poly will transfer more than stockers but less than solids. Some say the convertable mounts are equivelent to the poly mounts.

Which mounts would give me better throttle response? Right now if I nail it below 3000rpms in pretty much any gear except 1st, I can feel the car kind of shake and bit and the motor bogs because its retorqueing itself. I think my driver's side mount is cracked.

Being able to "feel" the motor is the best reason I have heard to go with solids, unless you are making enough power to justify an aftermarket block.

However, with that said I think that poly mounts are the way to go for a street car. You will feel a big difference in how the motor responds between worn stockers and fresh poly's. I have several thousand miles on the motor in my sig with poly's, and they hold up to the torque just fine.

:Word:
jason

Seems that most feel that poly is the way to go w/ street cars. Am I correct to assume that everyone feels the same about poly trans mounts? I'm going to be replacing my mounts in the not-too-distant future.

1990LXDropTop said:
Which mounts would give me better throttle response? Right now if I nail it below 3000rpms in pretty much any gear except 1st, I can feel the car kind of shake and bit and the motor bogs because its retorqueing itself. I think my driver's side mount is cracked.

If the engine bogs, you have a tuning problem. The engine mounts have little or nothing to do with throttle response. If you want to use soft mounts and still have good support, you can fabricate a torque strap. It ties the cylinder head to the frame or swaybar mount to keep it from twisting too much.

Stock replacement convertible mounts are cheap, though.

65ShelbyClone said:
If the engine bogs, you have a tuning problem. The engine mounts have little or nothing to do with throttle response. If you want to use soft mounts and still have good support, you can fabricate a torque strap. It ties the cylinder head to the frame or swaybar mount to keep it from twisting too much.
Thats what I would do just for the track. Then unhook it and enjoy the mounts for the street.