Some advise for yall....headlight area helpful hint

mfp4073

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2001
Hells Ditch, FL
Broke one of the adjusters a couple of weeks ago....sucks and had to disassemble everything.

I dont know how its setup on the 65-66s, but on the 67-68s the headlight adjusters come in from the back of the bucket. You have to remove the bucket to get to them.....and the headlight buckets are a PAIN to take off. Got to take a bunch of the front end apart and then come in from the back of the fender. The kicker....NPD sells a kit with all the hardware for both sides for $14.

headlightparts.jpg

If you already have the fender off the car and the headlight bucket there...REPLACE THIS STUFF!!!! I looked at them and was suprised they didnt break earlier. The ones in the kit are made much better than my originals. Seriously it takes like 5 minutes...vs the day of disassembly and reassembly.... :nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

The problem you are describing is why it took me 2 hours and some cramped fingers to get one (1) adjuster bolted into place.

Had I known it was goign to be such a problem I would have put them in before the buckets were assempbled for painting, they are NOT coming apart now.

67coupe351w said:
The problem you are describing is why it took me 2 hours and some cramped fingers to get one (1) adjuster bolted into place.

Had I known it was goign to be such a problem I would have put them in before the buckets were assempbled for painting, they are NOT coming apart now.

HOW DID YOU GET THEM IN WITH EM ON THE CAR? I looked at them and there is like 1cm of space between the adjuster and the fender. :shrug:

mfp4073 said:
If you already have the fender off the car and the headlight bucket there...REPLACE THIS STUFF!!!! I looked at them and was suprised they didnt break earlier. The ones in the kit are made much better than my originals. Seriously it takes like 5 minutes...vs the day of disassembly and reassembly.... :nonono:

I will testify to this. I put in some headlights similar to the tri bar and they weren't adjusted properly. So I attempted to use the screws to adjust but they were all rusted up. I then tried to replace the pieces shown above by cramming my hands in the little available space. I got all but one of the adjusters so I had to take off the enter headlight assembly which really means I had to take off the bumper, grill, and then the assemblies. What a pain in the ass. As mfp4073, if you have the fender off, REPLACE THIS STUFF!!!

mfp4073 said:
HOW DID YOU GET THEM IN WITH EM ON THE CAR? I looked at them and there is like 1cm of space between the adjuster and the fender. :shrug:

Well I tried to locate my "speacial tool" so I could show you a picture of it but I cant seem to locate it.

What I did was took a phillps head insert for a multi screw driver and used a small strip of duct tape to secure it into the boxed end of a 1/4 inch wrench.

This was my process:

1) I ran a tap through the holes from the front side to make sure the threads were as clean as possible to aid in easy turning of the screws.

2) I started the screws by hand (dropped them several times) and turned them in as far as I could with my fingers. I was able to turn the threaded end of the screw that poked through near the end.

3)Next use the speacial tool to get the screwed tight. I could onlyget about 1/3 of a turn per try. VERY SLOW! Yhe lower adjusting screws are much easier to get to. I was begining to think the uppers were impossible to get to but I did eventualy get them tight.

This is not the prefered way to do it. If you can do it before the fender is assembled...DO IT! I wasnt even going to think about taking mine off with fresh paint and perfectly aligned panels. :bang:

67coupe351w said:
1) I ran a tap through the holes from the front side to make sure the threads were as clean as possible to aid in easy turning of the screws.

2) I started the screws by hand (dropped them several times) and turned them in as far as I could with my fingers. I was able to turn the threaded end of the screw that poked through near the end.

3)Next use the speacial tool to get the screwed tight. I could onlyget about 1/3 of a turn per try. VERY SLOW! Yhe lower adjusting screws are much easier to get to. I was begining to think the uppers were impossible to get to but I did eventualy get them tight.

This is not the prefered way to do it. If you can do it before the fender is assembled...DO IT! I wasnt even going to think about taking mine off with fresh paint and perfectly aligned panels. :bang:

I dont know why but I am so totally laughing right now, because we sat there lookin at the same thing and going.....there is no good way to do this. I just gave up and disassembled!