Some brake questions

Black Sun 5.0

Founding Member
Mar 23, 2002
L.I., N.Y.
I had my brake system in my '90 upgraded with a Baer 4-wheel disc kit with 12" rotors all around. A couple of quick questions: when the time comes to replace these rotors, what am I replacing these with? Standard 94-95 size rotors? I assume that these calipers would need to be replaced if I wanted to go to 13" rotors? Also, I noticed that the rear calipers only covers about half the rotor, and rust is starting to form on the rest of the un-used rotor. It's starting to rust and look like crap. Shouldn't the rear caliper cover more of the 'meat' of that rotor? It seems a little small.

• Sponsors (?)

There isn't a direct Mustang caliper that will work since the 12" kits are unique to Baer. However, there is a chance a Camaro rotor "may" work since they use the same PBR style caliper with a 12" rotor/hub similar to the Mustang. It was equipped on 88-92 Camaros wih the 1LE brake package and i beleive it came on some early 80's vettes too before they went to the 13" setup used also on the 94+ Mustang

sucp_0710_01_z+1990_chevy_camaro+spindle_and_brake_install.jpg

Your best bet may be to buy one at a parts store and compare to see if it would fit.

As for the caliper, it's unique to the 12" design. A 13" rotor would require a different calipers - or at least the bracket which bolts it to the spindle.

As for the rear brakes, it's common for a lot of calipers to only grab the outside of the rotor. That's where th emost leverage is. Unfortunately it looks ugly as you've seen. A lot of people paint the rotor hats and unswept area with high temp [aint for this reason.

BTW, i beleive the rear 12" kit is an 80's corvette brake setup and yo umay be able to cross-reference new rotors and pads to a vette.

Ahah! Cool, that makes sense. Let me ask one more thing: if I paint the rotor and the unswept portion, I'm not sure how accurately I can paint it to maximize the paint coverage area to avoid any additional rusting. If some of the paint gets in the caliper region, will it cause a problem or just 'rub' off?

It will just rub off.

What i do is take black electrical tape and mask off the swept regions. Then i spray a few coats of high temp engine paint on there letting them dry. Then peel off the tape and put the rotor back on. It will smell a bit the first week or so but it goes away as the high-temp paint "bakes" on.

Make sure you spray the rotor down with brake cleaner first