Some Chevy Rednecks!

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
Montgomery, NY
Alright so heres my story (I will try to make it as interesting to read as possible):

Well its a nice sunny day here in CT. 55 degrees slight wind, the perfect day to drag our 86 GT to emissions for the second time. After failing miserably the first time we threw some 19 lb injectors, dropped the timing down to 8 degrees base, and hooked up the air pump to bake the rear cats. Around 3:30 we hook the trailer up and head to the shop. Get the car on the rollers, run it through the test and just slightly fail. After getting the car off the machine we begin to "chat" with the shop owner, an OBVIOUS chevy guy. Now I am far from brand loyal and appreciate all cars and all companies but there are just times I can tell a Chevy owner.

In light conversation about the car (there were a few car people there and a guy with an LS1 Z28 going on the rollers next) we mentioned the motor in it being a GT40P stock cammed motor that ran 11s. The shop owner immediately laughed and goes "haha those damn Mustangs are so light, all you need is a gear to run 11s, what gear did you have". My dad responded with 4.30s, and the shop owner continued his ramblings. He went on to tell us how with just a gear any 5.0 Mustang will run high 11s, how he can make 500 hp out of a 350 chevy with about $200, and then tried schooling us in the fine art of maximizing a combo, getting the "pistons, heads, camshaft, and intake to work together". Personally I find this all amusing, but it makes me wonder, if a shop owner, and former racer is spouting off this kind of crap, what would someone with no real car history wonder?

Oh well, it was an eye opening experience for me this afternoon. Surrounded by Chevy guys telling me how easy it is to make a car fast, make power, or run 11s in a Mustang!

• Sponsors (?)

hey 25th, did u get the engine hot before the test? If you get your cats nice and hot before the test it should normally pass. Ala go drive on the highway for a lil then bring it in. Then again you trailered it? race car? confused sorry lol lot on my mind. Im surprised though with that lil timing and cats it still fails. Even without a smog pump, with cats you should have passed. I dont even run a smog pump with my cats and i pass fine. I jus get the f'er real hot before i get it sniffed.

half way through it i thought you were gonna say he was going to pass you anyways (emissions test) that would have been nice. i don't think either of my stangs would pass emisions.

The car is not reg'd its a Florida car therefor has to go through emissions before they let us reg it. The car was warmed up before the test, and the rear cats get extremely hot (to the point they smoke and almost glow). There sounded like a slight miss with the car and our engine guy said a tune (after we dropped the FP and timing, he thinks we should change plugs) up should get it by. The motor right now is having issues because its on a speed density comp, and we think the retarded cam is throwing it off.

Needless to say if you heard him he wasnt making fun of them, as much as making it sound like they are just easy to make fast (taking away the fact we had a P headed stock bottem end car in the 11s). Oh well the car was probably faster then the LS1 they threw on the rollers after it :D!

The car is not reg'd its a Florida car therefor has to go through emissions before they let us reg it. The car was warmed up before the test, and the rear cats get extremely hot (to the point they smoke and almost glow). There sounded like a slight miss with the car and our engine guy said a tune (after we dropped the FP and timing, he thinks we should change plugs) up should get it by. The motor right now is having issues because its on a speed density comp, and we think the retarded cam is throwing it off.

Needless to say if you heard him he wasnt making fun of them, as much as making it sound like they are just easy to make fast (taking away the fact we had a P headed stock bottem end car in the 11s). Oh well the car was probably faster then the LS1 they threw on the rollers after it :D!
Can you please explain to me how you get cars to run times they shouldnt lol P headed cars in the 11s, e7te headed cars in the 12s. If you had TW's youd be running 9s, I sware!

Why would they get that hot if they are lean? It doesn't work that way, a lean condition will heat the combustion chamber, and thats it, a rich condition and an improperly timed engine can cause red hot headers and glowing cats because fuel is being burnt in the pipes rather than the combustion chamber.

The glowing was something I have not witnessed and might have been an exaggeration on my dads part. The cats could very well be clogged they are ld, but the car should pass next time out.

As for how many times, as long as you pay the $20 for a new place to test it, you can go a ton of times!

Our cars have never just gone out and run a number. The GT40P car was going 12.9-13.0 its first couple of times out. Without changing the combo much we got it to 12.1 @ 110. Changed it up as more of a race car and sadly in the 1/4 on crappy days it only went 12.00. Got it to the last event and because of huge winds they stopped it at 1/8 and it went a string of 7.48 - 7.49s, and my dumb ass red lit losing a garenteed win in the "Gear Jammers" class (Fords @ Etown). My E7 car did go 12.7-12.8 first run out and then went 12.6s next time. Then 12.9-13.0 on street tires. Then dropped a $50 short block in it (old one lost an oil galley plug) the night before running the 12.56! This year it has the slightly better short block in it, but Im not expecting anything better this season! I want to build a stock bottem end TFS/custom/Systemax set up to run mid 11s, but we will see!

lol sounds like the same type of guy that used to work at my old job. i told him my 93 mustang (car at the time) was running about a 14.6. he proceeded to laugh in my face and tell me that anything slower then a 12 is not worth looking at. then he proceedes to tell my other coworker that his 98 crown vic was a solid 13 second car if he just took his back seat out.

lol also reminds me of a current coworker who says his LO3 (305 tbi)/700R4 equipped 3rd gen camaro is capable of 12's as it sits...lol yeah, ok buddie

Oh dont get me wrong, at the track I LOVE it. I lost count of the amount of people that dont believe me when I tell them what the car has. I had one Mustang guy get mad at me and storm off. He really thought I was lying and holding back info because his 86 (clean as hell) was slower with more stuff on it. I just find it funny when your nowhere to prove anything, everyone talks how easy it is, yet if we were at the track or dyno Im sure he would talk about how hard he had to work for the 350 hp the car really made!

I just dont get it, the combos you run shouldnt make the power that it takes to run the times you do. Your driving skills and chassis prep must be nothing short of incredible. Definite props to you, but if I ever run into you Im gonna start swingin! bastard lol jus playing around I envy you. My heavily modded 310 engine has the trickflow kit and supporting mods and im pretty sure it wont match your times. Heck the effin thing doesnt even run right. Stock suspension though. Im thinkin i plugged my cats not running the smog pump. at any rate F you and your fast stock cars. j/k

I just dont get it, the combos you run shouldnt make the power that it takes to run the times you do. Your driving skills and chassis prep must be nothing short of incredible. Definite props to you, but if I ever run into you Im gonna start swingin! bastard lol jus playing around I envy you. My heavily modded 310 engine has the trickflow kit and supporting mods and im pretty sure it wont match your times. Heck the effin thing doesnt even run right. Stock suspension though. Im thinkin i plugged my cats not running the smog pump. at any rate F you and your fast stock cars. j/k
I think what he is humbly implying is not so much the combo, but more less he can drive which is more than evident with his times:nice: