Some people in this world are worthless.....

So I went and got some rims that I purchased on here (BTW thanks QDRHRSE they look sweet) mounted balanced, etc at a very big name tire shop right down the street. Drive it home and gawk at it a while, then I decide to hit the highway. She is shakin like there is no tomorrow. Get home and I find one of the shanked lugs about 1/4" from being snugged down to the wheel. Break out the impact---won't tighten or back off--spins, but doesn't move. She is stripped in a bad way. So I have to do surgery with a die grinder and a cutting wheel millimeters away from the brand new wheels that are not cheap. Finally got the wheel off without jacking it up. How those slap nuts missed that one, I will never know. Coulda been real bad.

Are there any tools to press in a new stud while on the axle? The stud had to be sacrificed to get the wheel off and I don't want to take out the axle for such a small reason.

End rant.

• Sponsors (?)

You should be able to hammer the old lug out, and slip a new lug into the hole from behind the axle flange. When you have the new lug in the hole, use a spacer...or larger nut to slide on the stud, then put the lug nut on the stud. Then just use your impact to drive the nut (and spacer) on the lug, this will pull the lug into the axle. You need a spacer or larger nut behind the lug nut because you want a flat surface on the spacer or nut to come in contact with the axle flange.

Smack the old one out, put the old one in. Done it a buncha times!

Kinda reminds me of when I had tires mounted once, I had two different sizes. I rolled them into the shop and put the thinner tires w/the thinner rims, and the wide w/the wide. I told them they had to go on like that. Dumbass puts one wide tire on a skinny wheel, and one the right way. I noticed when I came back and told him and he asked, "You want me to change dat?" Uh...YES PLEASE! Moron.

You should be able to hammer the old lug out, and slip a new lug into the hole from behind the axle flange. When you have the new lug in the hole, use a spacer...or larger nut to slide on the stud, then put the lug nut on the stud. Then just use your impact to drive the nut (and spacer) on the lug, this will pull the lug into the axle. You need a spacer or larger nut behind the lug nut because you want a flat surface on the spacer or nut to come in contact with the axle flange.
This is the correct way to do it! This is how its done at work all the time with no problems. As roland states there is a correct tool for the job as well. either way works fine.

Smack the old one out, put the old one in. Done it a buncha times!

Kinda reminds me of when I had tires mounted once, I had two different sizes. I rolled them into the shop and put the thinner tires w/the thinner rims, and the wide w/the wide. I told them they had to go on like that. Dumbass puts one wide tire on a skinny wheel, and one the right way. I noticed when I came back and told him and he asked, "You want me to change dat?" Uh...YES PLEASE! Moron.

You think that is bad. When I still had my old Cougar, I ordered some BFG KDWs from tirerack.com and brought them to work with me...I was working at a Lincoln/Mercury dealer at the time. I asked one of the asset students (basically apprentice techs) to mount them for me after I removed the wheels so I could do my brakes. So I proceed to do my brake job and he comes along rolling the new tires on the wheels, he then stacks them in a pile for me. When I was done I went to put the wheels back on the car and noticed that all 4 of them were mounted with the same side out. He said he saw the red dot on the sidewall or each tire and mounted them on the wheels with the dot on the inside so they wouldn't be seen on the car.

It took me three times to explain to him that two of them would need to be remounted because they were directional tires. It took him three times to grasp the fact that two of them were mounted wrong. As far as I know....he is working at either a Ford shop or a L/M shop right now as a tech.

You think that is bad. When I still had my old Cougar, I ordered some BFG KDWs from tirerack.com and brought them to work with me...I was working at a Lincoln/Mercury dealer at the time. I asked one of the asset students (basically apprentice techs) to mount them for me after I removed the wheels so I could do my brakes. So I proceed to do my brake job and he comes along rolling the new tires on the wheels, he then stacks them in a pile for me. When I was done I went to put the wheels back on the car and noticed that all 4 of them were mounted with the same side out. He said he saw the red dot on the sidewall or each tire and mounted them on the wheels with the dot on the inside so they wouldn't be seen on the car.

It took me three times to explain to him that two of them would need to be remounted because they were directional tires. It took him three times to grasp the fact that two of them were mounted wrong. As far as I know....he is working at either a Ford shop or a L/M shop right now as a tech.

Ok, 3 times and ya have me beat. LOL

That reminds me though, my tard put a couple of them backwards too, with arrows showing intended direction even.

i had a similar thing happen too, mine was when i got gears installed, i guess they installed the lugs with the impact gun without starting it by hand, it ended up cross threading and i had to pound the old stud out and install a new one. just use the lug nut to press the stud in. i think i used a bunch of washers cause i didn't have a large enough nut to use as a spacer handy, you don't really need an impact cause i did it without (big breaker bar) but the gun makes it 10X easier

I went to a shop one time and wanted my tires rotated on the front due to uneven wear from lowering springs so the idiots take off the wheels and put them on the other side facing the wrong direction. Then I have to wait two days to get it back in to do the right rotation. Then they tried to charge me for it. Lucky for me the manager came over and said don't worry about it. Still took five minutes for the guy to get the blank stare off his face and understand what he had done wrong to begin with.