Some points might save you money

ked263

Oct 7, 2012
Hi everyone , first of all I would like to thank you all for all the help you give me in the last few weeks, with all my threads for my mustang's problems. most of my problems were solved by you, and I am really thankful for that.

and I don't know how to thank you enough, but what I can do now , if giving some points for some problems that I had, and I saw some others in here having the same, and after fixing it, I thought I might give some tips to help them too.

so, here I will list some of the problems I had, and what was the cause and how can we fix it.
here I grab a cup of tea, a cake next to me , and the screen facing me with loud music playing and some "random problems"
**FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME AT ANY POINT,AFTER ALL I AM NOT A MECHANIC**

first of all was the car showing "------------" when starting the car which mean the cluster is not getting information from the PCM,..but will show soon, and once you switch the key off , the cluster gauges won't reset and the screen still showing "------------" and maybe sometimes the lights of the cluster still on, but low power. "see the video."

people asked me to see the following ,

Alternator >>>was New
Battery >>> tested it was working find, but losing power slowly about all the power in 24 hours
PCM >>> tested it with diablo for reading and writing/flashing and everything seems ok
Key housing >>>Mechanic says it was ok
Fuse Box >>> all fuses were ok .

after following everything , and could not find what the problem and everything seems to be working well. I took alook on the FUSE BOX. and all the fuses were OK.

BUT what look like to be the problem is that I found a loose WIRE from one of the FUSES that was connected to some interror lighets in the past and I took it off,
the Wire was touching a metal part in the car, and look like was serving low current to the cluster gauges. I took it off, clean the fuse , and My problem was fixed.

Problem two,
The car SOMEIMTES losing power while driving and if I stoped the car and try to start it sometimes it will just CRANK once and then all the power CUT.

Garage suggestion
Alternator
Battery

after testing at home box where ok , and the alternator is charging right I took a on the the battery terminals, a little white RUST if I may call it that on the POSITIVE terminal , AND the problems was that the wire head was a little lose from the last mechanic who checked the car... "I know that because of the way the wire was fit in, I have my own way of doing that and it wasnot the same, so I think last time he took the wire out to work on the car he just put it on back fast and forget to tie it hard.

The car will start, but will show "low battery"+"Service engine soon" lights and will switch off if trying to driving with light foot on the gas.
**all that happened after replacing the alternator**

Garage tried to...
replace the alternator
clean the injectors
check the fuel pump

Real problem was "ready to lough ?" the belt was too tension on the alternator because of BAD alignment... DONE.

Car is chocking when stepping on the gas, and engeine light ON. turning of the car will lead to some whistling sound..

This was an easy one, after the car is cold enough
get some rag with water some dish washing liquid and wipe the hoses with it, and start the car again, a good chance that you have an old hose with crack or cut in it.

and that was my case, I used some old hose I found in my home, then in the morning went to get a new one.

Hope someone will find this thread useful .

My message here is .... Do NOT always follow the mechanics in your area, sometimes the problem is much easier than it seems and you can fix it at home.

Always stay with them , take a look on what they do , make sure they fix it right.

try to fix your car by your self first, take a look on it, read online, watch video. ask here....

in the end. Thank you all for reading this, feel free to fix the info if something is wrong, I wrote what I had and how it got fixed thats all :D

• Sponsors (?)

Good stuff. I've not had much luck with general purpose mechanics. They seem to know little to as much as I do. This is a prime example of why learning how to work on your own car is a great idea, especially if it's older. Remember mechanics do it to get paid, so they don't care how long or how many parts it takes because they make more that way. DIY means you have to be smarter than what your working with to save as much as you can without cutting corners. Good story. Glad you found help here. There's lots of good folks on this forum.