Some Questions About Wiring Gauges....

huskerpower02

Aug 21, 2003
KS
I hooked up my white face gauges and grounded the wire, but i dont know where to put the power wire at. I had a friend suggest using a (brown)wire that goes to my headlight switch, but the instructions said not to wire it directly to the switch and i dont fully understand how i would do that anyway. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I have my gauge spliced into the wires for the clock on the dash. I think its the light blue w/red stripe is the power wire. If you splice into that, you're gauges will dim with the lights as you turn the knob.

Just used the switched power source on the back of the radio. Piece of cake to get too, but I don't know the exact color. A Haynes manual will have a wiring diagram to tell you which one it is. The headlight switch won't work, because it comes on even when the ignition is off.

Kurt

1105 said:
I have my gauge spliced into the wires for the clock on the dash. I think its the light blue w/red stripe is the power wire. If you splice into that, you're gauges will dim with the lights as you turn the knob.

The blue with the red stripe is the dimmer wire, not the power wire.

Kurt

so how did you get to the wires that are for the clock on the dash? Any other suggestions would be really helpful. I was thinking of just splicing into the corner lights but i dont know which on is the power. Thanks.

Well I've got an aftermarket radio and the wiring harness from crutchfield to plug into the factory harness so as not to cut up the factory one, and since my new radio didn't have an illumination feature (which there are not very many of them that do) I tied into that wire right there so that they work with the headlight switch and dim just like from the factory.

revhead347 said:
The blue with the red stripe is the dimmer wire, not the power wire.

Kurt
I know, but thats the wire you want to splice into so your gauge(s) will dim when you turn the headlight knob. I did my gauge that way and it turns on with the lights, and dims with all of the other gauges.

To get to the wires, just pop the clock pod off of your dash, and the wires will be pluged into it.

1105 said:
I know, but thats the wire you want to splice into so your gauge(s) will dim when you turn the headlight knob. I did my gauge that way and it turns on with the lights, and dims with all of the other gauges.

To get to the wires, just pop the clock pod off of your dash, and the wires will be pluged into it.

ok so the clock pod just pops right off if i took a flat head screwdriver to it? How did you get your power wire from your guages to the clock pod without it being visible? i guess what im trying to ask is how did you run it? Is there a hole back there or something? Thanks alot.
-drew