Something loose in front end.

Motorhead6T5

Oct 21, 2004
Marysville,CA
I was coming home cristmas evening, and as I was puling into my neigborhood, I noticed a odd niose from my front end as I went over a rough part of the street. Didn't think much of it till a day later when I drove my car again. and every bump I got a weird noise from the front suspension like somthing is loose. I jacked up the car and pulled the wheels off and couldn't find anything visibly wrong with the car. I pulled and yanked very part of the suspension and nothing seemed odd or unusual. I noticed the front grill was kinda loose and thought maybe that was the cause,so I threw some folded up towels under the hood next to where it latches to take up any slack in the grill. Drove it and this wasn't the problem,it still made the noise. If I shimmy the car side to side as I drive it kinda like heating the tires on a road course it will make the sound. anybody have any ideas what the problem is or has anybody already had it and fixed it? I'd rather not take it to a service department if I can fix it myself. It's nothing like the back out of a parking space pop,totaly different. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I bet it is where the endlink mounts on the strut. Probably wasn't torqued enough when your eibachs were installed

Here is the best pic I have of what I am talking about.

EDIT: I guess I should add the pic

swybrlnk.JPG

I have the same noise since car was new. I have stock front end. The slight clunking noise over small sharp bumps is really annoying, and the only problem I have with the car. I would like to fix this myself, as past dealings with dealerships have not been that great. I wonder if the addition of the rubber isolator that is suggested on the TSB for the popping noise (which is no big deal to me, only happened two or three times in the last year.) would help. Any info would be helpful.

my car has had this problem since it was new. they never can find what it is. event took the whole front end apart, and tightened up something, didnt fix it. maybe its a bad strut? i am just kinda dealing with it, i still got 26k miles till my warranty is up.

I had an odd thing happen the other day that may be related.

While braking hard and making a left hand turn, I suddenly started hearing a clunking noise from the right front wheel. It sounded exactly like the noise a CV joint makes when it is going bad. I could feel it in the steering wheel!
Once the car what going striat, the steering felt VERY loose, like the lug nuts were coming off. I got the car home, jacked it up and checked everything. Nothing was loose nor did I find anything amiss.

The next day I put the car through some tough driving and everything was fine.

The following weekend I drove the car on the Virginia International Raceway:D expecting to find the problem again at the most inopportune time.... thankfully everything went well.

Any idea what it could have been or STILL BE?:shrug:

Is this the same noise that sounds like a chirping or squeek noise when you hit bumps? That's been driving me nuts for a few months now. For me it sounds like it is coming from the back though. Is that possible?

I'm starting to think that the clunking is coming from the strut it's self, perhaps the noise is the valving or some other internal componants working inside. If some other members are out there that have replaced their suspension, maybe they could let us know if the problem went away. I think I will disconnect the sway bar links from the struts and go for a short ride and see if the noise goes away. If it does, the issue is with the sway bar assembly, if it does not, it must be with the strut. This noise is really driving me up the wall, if one more person that is riding with me asks me "What's that clunking noise" I'm going to loose it. I'm thinking of replacing the stock suspension with the Roush system, Does anyone out there done this and if so what do you think. This is the only issue I have with the 05 stang, can't wait to get it figured out.

I have a clunk the same as some of you describe. My swab bar is off the car so that is not it in my case. I've checked every bolt and all are tight. I think it is the strut. There is no rubber isolator on the lower portion of the spring. Could that be the problem?

I took my `05 into the shop about a month ago to have a couple things looked at/taken care of while still under warranty, and while trying to locate a sliding sound in my dash (which they couldn't find but is still there...someone probably forgot their watch), one of the shop guys noticed a noise from the front end. The rep didn't get specific, but said that it was a suspension issue and that they had an upgrade with which they'd replaced the problem part(s). Unfortunately I'm fairly-well not gearhead (though remedying that situation is part of why I'm here), so what was specifically said didn't stick with me, just the end result.

The upgrade could well have been Macgyver's gum for all I know.

rainingbells said:
I took my `05 into the shop about a month ago to have a couple things looked at/taken care of while still under warranty, and while trying to locate a sliding sound in my dash (which they couldn't find but is still there...someone probably forgot their watch), one of the shop guys noticed a noise from the front end. The rep didn't get specific, but said that it was a suspension issue and that they had an upgrade with which they'd replaced the problem part(s). Unfortunately I'm fairly-well not gearhead (though remedying that situation is part of why I'm here), so what was specifically said didn't stick with me, just the end result.

The upgrade could well have been Macgyver's gum for all I know.
Would you call your dealer and ask what they did? I want to fix this problem myself if I can find out the problem. Seems like every time I take my car to a dealer it comes back with a nick or scratch or something not done right. I just don't trust dealers!

Me too. What's weird, is it's the sewer covers and cracks in the pavement that make the noise, not so much the bigger bumps in the road. I'd expect noise from hitting pot holes, but not from sewer covers. Noise seems worse on the right side - maybe a bit louder in the right front, and it's more prominent at lower speeds. Seems fine on the highway. Curios if the noise has gone away for anyone who replaced the struts or shocks? Also, it could just be tire noise.