Something loose in front end.

i have had my car in for this 3 times. they have taken the whole front suspension apart. now i am told its just "mustang noise" its gotta be in the strut or something, but o well i guess i will just have to deal with it. its definetly worse on the passenger side, and only when going slow, doesnt happen on the highway. im sure eventually it will get figured out, i just hope its before my warranty is up.

• Sponsors (?)

Just to add my experince. I had a popping noise when I went over bumps after installing the Eibach Pro. I found out the problem was I didnt tighten the nut on the top of one of the struts enough.

drooks said:
Just to add my experince. I had a popping noise when I went over bumps after installing the Eibach Pro. I found out the problem was I didnt tighten the nut on the top of one of the struts enough.
The strut is what it sounds like. I assume you are talking about the big center bolt? I'll have to rig up some way to hold the hex while tightening the nut. Factory must have a special tool.

bigcat said:
box end wrench and allen wrench together.....
The top of the strut is a 10mm external hex, the nut a 21mm. Can't use an allen. My 10mm socket won't go into the square drive of the 21mm socket or I could hold the socket with a pipe wrench.

LarryS said:
The strut is what it sounds like. I assume you are talking about the big center bolt? I'll have to rig up some way to hold the hex while tightening the nut. Factory must have a special tool.

Yeah, the big bolt on the center of the top of the strut (you can see while installed by looking under the hootd. I was using an air compressor impact wrench so not sure of other methods of tightening. The impact wrench has enough torque to do the job by itself.

I tightened mine with an impact and still makes noise. I marked the nut verses the strut hex and it did tighten about 1/8-1/4 turn.

Could it be the lack of a rubber isolator on the lower pad of the spring?

LarryS said:
I tightened mine with an impact and still makes noise. I marked the nut verses the strut hex and it did tighten about 1/8-1/4 turn.

Could it be the lack of a rubber isolator on the lower pad of the spring?

No. Mine has the isolators and it's still clunky.

05 GeeTee said:
No. Mine has the isolators and it's still clunky.
Sure hope somebody figures out what this clunk is soon. I really hate having to take it to the dealer for his. I know it will come back with nicks and scratches.

I'm running the 18" Carroll Shelby rims and I'd have to say that it makes the issue a little more noticable. Maybe because of the lower profile tires. My dealer has replaced the end links on the steering and tightened every bolt and nut on the front end. They said that the K member was a little loose, for a day I didn't have the noise but it was a lot colder than it had been the day the noise wasn't there. But now that it's warmed up it's back in full force. I'm going to be putting coilovers on soon and I'll see if that fixes the issue.

Jason

Some new clues. Lifted the car up and placed a lever under the tire then put the car back on the ground. Jumped up and down on the end of the lever working the front suspension and found absolutly no noise what so ever from the outside or from the inside with someone else doing it. Jacked the car up and grabbed the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and wiggled, no noise. Grabbed the tire at 9 and 3 o'clock and wiggled, heard a pronounced clunking noise, more so when pushing at the 9 o'clock posistion, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where it is coming from. The brake assembly seems to be tight, it almost seems to be coming from the lower ball joint or the bearing location at the spindle. the bearing cap states "Do not remove" and does not come off very easy, so I don't want to remove it and damage it to the point that it cannot be reinstalled because I need to get to work tomorrow, but I am wondering if the wheel bearings are just a little loose. Perhaps someone else out there can use these clues and with better hearing than me can pinpoint the noise. It sure sounds like the same noise I hear on the inside while driving.

CPman said:
Some new clues. Lifted the car up and placed a lever under the tire then put the car back on the ground. Jumped up and down on the end of the lever working the front suspension and found absolutly no noise what so ever from the outside or from the inside with someone else doing it. Jacked the car up and grabbed the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and wiggled, no noise. Grabbed the tire at 9 and 3 o'clock and wiggled, heard a pronounced clunking noise, more so when pushing at the 9 o'clock posistion, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where it is coming from. The brake assembly seems to be tight, it almost seems to be coming from the lower ball joint or the bearing location at the spindle. the bearing cap states "Do not remove" and does not come off very easy, so I don't want to remove it and damage it to the point that it cannot be reinstalled because I need to get to work tomorrow, but I am wondering if the wheel bearings are just a little loose. Perhaps someone else out there can use these clues and with better hearing than me can pinpoint the noise. It sure sounds like the same noise I hear on the inside while driving.
I tried your test but don't get any noise. Certainly not what I get driving the car. Back to the drawing board for me!

In my quiet garage, I opened my hood, put my palms on the edge of the pass. side fender and pushed down repeatedly (letting the suspension compress and rebound) and can hear the thumping noise. Unfortunately I cant look underneath with a flashlight at the same time.

probepro said:
Me too. What's weird, is it's the sewer covers and cracks in the pavement that make the noise, not so much the bigger bumps in the road. I'd expect noise from hitting pot holes, but not from sewer covers. Noise seems worse on the right side - maybe a bit louder in the right front, and it's more prominent at lower speeds. Seems fine on the highway. Curios if the noise has gone away for anyone who replaced the struts or shocks? Also, it could just be tire noise.

UPDATE: I left me car at Ford for serveral days hoping they could find where the noise was coming from. No luck, but they did talk to Ford Engineering, who said the problem has been reported before, and the are investigating, so hopefully there will be a TSB as some point. Obviously I'm not happy about them not fixing the problem, but dealer has been very good about the whole matter. Not sure if my particular noise is unique to the 06 GT's with 18 wheels, or not.

probepro said:
UPDATE: I left me car at Ford for serveral days hoping they could find where the noise was coming from. No luck, but they did talk to Ford Engineering, who said the problem has been reported before, and the are investigating, so hopefully there will be a TSB as some point. Obviously I'm not happy about them not fixing the problem, but dealer has been very good about the whole matter. Not sure if my particular noise is unique to the 06 GT's with 18 wheels, or not.
It's not your 18" wheels because I have 17" with the noise. Surely Ford can fine the noise!

probepro said:

That sounds promising. Sorry you had to be without your ride but hopefully it'll help us all out.