something new every time..

so along with my top end ticking, i was talking to someone about having gas in the oil when i changed it. he said it could be a leaking injector? how do i check this. it seems much easier to do that than to bench test my cylinder heads for leaks

• Sponsors (?)

The injectors spray into the lower intake. At no point should fuel be getting into your oil unless it's past the piston rings. If the injector is stuck wide open (rare) then it could be creating such a rich condition that it's "washing down the cylinder walls" and getting past the rings. This would create such a rich condition that I suspect smoke would be visible at idle from the tail pipes. If this is all happening due to 1 "leaky" injector, simply disconnect the wiring harness from one injector at a time and leave it off long enough for the excess fuel in the exhaust to burn off. Then the smoke will clear up and you'll know which injector it is.

Fuel pressure OK, the injectors are not firing, OR one or more injectors stuck
open

Do a cylinder balance test: Warm the car's engine up to normal operating
temperature. With the Engine Off, Key OFF, use a jumper wire or paper clip to
put the computer into test mode. Start the engine and let it go through the
normal diagnostic tests, then quickly press the throttle to the floor. The
engine RPM should exceed 2500 RPM's for a brief second. The engine will shut
off power to each injector, one at a time. When it has sequenced through all
8 injectors, it will flash 9 or the number of the failing cylinder such as 22 for
cylinder #2. Quickly pressing the throttle again up to 2500 RPM’s will cause
the test to re-run with smaller qualifying figures. Do it a third time, and if the
same cylinder shows up, the cylinder is weak and isn’t putting out power like
it should. See the Chilton’s Shop manual for the complete test procedure

The red wire on each injector is powered up whenever the ignition switch is
in the Run position. The computer provides a ground to complete the circuit
and fire the injector. The injector must have a ground to squirt fuel on
command. A short to ground in the injector return wiring can cause one or
more injectors to be continually open or triggered
A.) A Noid light available from Autozone, is one way to test
the injector wiring. If the light stays on constantly, either the wiring has a
short to ground or the computer has failed

B.) I like to use an old injector with compressed air applied to the
injector where the fuel rail would normally connect. I hook the whole thing
up, apply compressed air to the injector and stick it in a paper cup of soapy
water. When the engine cranks with the ignition switch on, if the injector
fires, it makes bubbles An injector stuck open will release a continual stream
of bubbles. Cheap if you have the stuff laying around, and works good too.
The same trick works great to find leaking injectors too.​
The wiring for the injectors may have some bare spots in it causing the
injector to computer control wire to ground out. This would cause the
injector to remain on anytime the key was in the Run position. Remove the
injector wiring connectors from the injector. Note that each injector has one
red wire for power and a non red wire (wire some color other than red) for
computer controlled ground. With the key off, disconnect the computer
connector from the computer. Use an Ohmmeter between the non red wire
and ground. You should see more than 100000 (100K) ohms resistance.

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) &
Stang&2Birds (website host) for help wiring Mustang FAQ - Wiring & Engine Info

Diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds

88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Using the above diagram, check the resistance between the injector and the
computer. Clean and check the 10 pin connectors since they are a potential
trouble source. Any resistance greater than 1.5 ohm between the injector to
computer wire and the matching pin on the computer connector is a problem.

harness02.gif

See Ford Fuel Injection » Wiring Harnesses for more help

See Troublcodes.net Trouble Codes OBD & OBD2 Trouble Codes and Technical info & Tool Store. By BAT Auto Technical

Underhoodpictures007-01.jpg

Underhoodpictures010.jpg

If your car is an 86-88 stang, you'll have to use the test lamp or voltmeter method. There is no functional check engine light on the 86-88's except possibly the Cali Mass Air cars.

attachment.php

The STI has a gray connector shell and a white/red wire. It comes from the same bundle of wires as the self test connector.

89 through 95 cars have a working Check Engine light. Watch it instead of using a test lamp.

attachment.php

The STI has a gray connector shell and a white/red wire. It comes from the same bundle of wires as the self test connector.

WARNING!!! There is a single dark brown connector with a black/orange wire. It is the 12 volt power to the under the hood light. Do not jumper it to the computer test connector. If you do, you will damage the computer.

What to expect:
You should get a code 11 (two single flashes in succession). This says that the computer's internal workings are OK, and that the wiring to put the computer into diagnostic mode is good. No code 11 and you have some wiring problems.

thanks guys! maybe if i lay down exactly what has been going on with the car you can put your input on what you think it is. I've got a top end tick (i'm going to pull the valve covers this weekend some time since its such a pain in the ass with the gt40's). the car sputters a bit at 4500 when getting into it hard. and i do smell gas on occasion. i have a 75mm throttle body, i think the maf sensor to match and i believe stock injectors (this is what came on the car when i bought it) when i redid the motor i essentially put everything back together exactly how it came apart.

Do the cylinder balance test first, and fix the codes that come up. Don't chase any other rabbits until you get the current batch fixed. This will avoid compounding the problem and making it that much more difficult to troubleshoot and isolate.

:nonono:ok. i pulled the valve cover on the bank that im hearing ticking. there was no play in anything that i could tell. and it sounded about the same ticking wise. what does this mean. im praying its not bottom end:(. it sounds like top end, but with no play, i dont know what that means? i'll do the cylinder balance test here in a couple weeks when i get the time

The injectors spray into the lower intake. At no point should fuel be getting into your oil unless it's past the piston rings. If the injector is stuck wide open (rare) then it could be creating such a rich condition that it's "washing down the cylinder walls" and getting past the rings. This would create such a rich condition that I suspect smoke would be visible at idle from the tail pipes. If this is all happening due to 1 "leaky" injector, simply disconnect the wiring harness from one injector at a time and leave it off long enough for the excess fuel in the exhaust to burn off. Then the smoke will clear up and you'll know which injector it is.

the only smoke i've noticed since i rebuilt the motor came from the header wrap burning in