Somewhat good day in the garage

jes72mustang

Mar 31, 2005
S. Central PA
Well, it wasn't a whole day more like a few hours. Since I only had the kids nap time to work I started getting ready for the header install. I got the car up on Jack stands and removed the exhaust from the manifold back. It was not too bad except that I twist the head off oe of the bolts in the drivers side manifold. I will not have much time to work on it again until next weekend which is when I hope to get the exhaust manifolds off the engine. So I need to run out and pick up some good penitrating oil and apply to the manifold to head bolts everynight this week. I really don't want to snap one of those bolts. Does anyone have a specific brand they recommend?

I think while I am at it I am going to replace my power steering unit and rag joint. I have a rebuilt Power steering unit I picked up at Carlisle.

• Sponsors (?)

2nd Mustang said:
I just used Liquid Wrench on my boat trailer axle this weekend. The inner bearing froze to the spindle! Liquid Wrench and a big pipe wrench to the rescue.

The only issue with the big wrench is it is even easier to snap the bolts off, and I really don't want to snap a bolt off in the head at this point.

Another vote for PB Blaster. The few times that PB Blaster hasn't worked, I used a propane torch and candle wax. The wax wicks down into the threads like PB Blaster does, but also provides some additional lubrication. If you still have some sticking out of the head, I'd weld a nut on there and touch it with some candle wax. Once the wax has skinned over try tightening slightly first, then loosen. Might have to work it back and forth a bit, lots of times this even works without wax or penetrant.

Thanks for the additional tips. I bought a can of PB blaster this afternoon and I will hit the exhaust manifold to head bolts every night this week. I am hoping to get the manifolds off on Friday and hopefully get the headers on this weekend. I also got one of the benzomatic mini pen torches that should heat the bolts up a bit to allow the PBblaster to penetrate even more.

jes72mustang said:
Thanks for the additional tips. I bought a can of PB blaster this afternoon and I will hit the exhaust manifold to head bolts every night this week. I am hoping to get the manifolds off on Friday and hopefully get the headers on this weekend. I also got one of the benzomatic mini pen torches that should heat the bolts up a bit to allow the PBblaster to penetrate even more.

i had to that very thing to get the door latch strikers off of my car. i was even using a hammer and impact driver and they still wouldn't budge even after soaking the bolts with PB blaster for 2 weeks every day. i eventually had to get out the mini torch and heat the bolts up until the paint around the striker started to almost bubble, then a few more whacks with the impact driver and FIANLLY they came loose. what a pain in the butt, even had to buy a new #4 phillips bit for my impact driver because i stripped the 1st one.

jes72mustang said:
I have 2 4 year olds and 3 year old, when they are awake nothing gets done in the garage. So if I am lucky I can get 1 - 2 hours while they nap. If I try to do any work with them in the garage it's a nightmare.

Amen to that! I have a 2 year old with "garage radar." I can sneak into the garage without making the slightest noise, and if the 2 year old is awake he's out there within 2 minutes tops, ready to "help" :D

My wife barely saved the day when he was going to "work" on my paint job with a screw driver! Yikes! :jaw:

another thing with the manifold bolts you can do is hit them straight on with a hammer and punch(air hammer actually works best) when im putting over like 40 lbs of torque and nothing happens, i do this and it works well. if that still dont do it carefully do it from the side and get the manifold itself if they're going to scrap anyway. broken bolts in heads really suck. also use a 14mm 6 point socket they ar about .005 smaller than a 9/16 and have a tighter fit on the bolt if they are rusted.

Again Thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys. I have to say that PB Blaster has a strong smell to it. I was almost knocked over this morning when I went to get into my 02 GT to leave for work. Anyway I am going to heat the bolts and hit them with PB again tonight. I will test them tomorrow to see if they are loosening up. Some of the bolts look like they may have been replaced at some point, they are still somewhat shiney. Hopefully they won't be as bad as I am anticipateing.

SO far so good. I decided to give the bolts a little test with the box end wrench on the passenger side 6 of 8 came loose with relative ease. only the bolts by the 3rd cylinder are being difficult. On the driver side I need to use a socket to reach around all the accessories but 6 of the 8 on that side came loose pretty easily. the bolts by the 5th cylinder are playing hard to get. I hit all the bolts with another shot of PB blaster and will try them again tomorrow night.

heating

For heating bolts I recommend you use a MAPP gas torch. MAPP is available at hardware stores. It looks the same as propane, but it's in a yellow bottle and it heats a LOT hotter. I'll never use propane again.

It might not help on exhaust manifold bolts, it's too hard to get the heat on the head. It works great when you can get the heat onto the threads, though.

Hack said:
For heating bolts I recommend you use a MAPP gas torch. MAPP is available at hardware stores. It looks the same as propane, but it's in a yellow bottle and it heats a LOT hotter. I'll never use propane again.

It might not help on exhaust manifold bolts, it's too hard to get the heat on the head. It works great when you can get the heat onto the threads, though.

i think the one he has and the one i have are both butane (lighter fluid) mini torches. they actually work pretty well.