Soo, anyone ever make their own LT midpipe?

blackened88lx

Aug 9, 2006
Connecticut
I just got a set of long tubes for my car and I don't feel like paying $160-200 for another x pipe when I just bought one for my shorties. Anyone ever try cutting down a midpipe for shorties and welding the flanges back on to be used with long tubes? I was going to throw the headers on today and try and figure out how difficult it would be to make it work but it's raining so I'm just wondering if anyone knows how it will work. Is the width really close?

• Sponsors (?)

My whole exhaust back from the headers is custom haha. I have BBK longtubes and whoever had the car before me cut the stock h pipe, gutted the cats, then welded the flanges on so it would fit the LT's then welded flowmasters on the back that dump out at the axle. Fits good and only problem really is that the passenger side muffler hangs just a tad bit lower than the driver side but im sure I could bend it up a litttle if I messed with it.

My buddy actually made his own X pipe and i've known at least one other guy who did. The one is made with the X part of another X pipe for shorties and he just cut it all down and reangled the pipes to fit the headers. The other X was so unbelievably ghetto...he took two Mac tail pipes and siamesed them together at the first bend of the tail pipe that heads up to go over the axle, and then fabbed up the pipes to fit onto the headers. It was ghetto but i've gotta say that car sounded nasty as hell when he was done and his X pipe was chrome...lol

My X is a Dr. Gas....and it is literally about as old as some of the cars on this forum. Dr. Gas was the first company to market an X for the Mustang. Back then when you ordered it, it came in a box about the size of 2 shoe boxes put together, and it was in 11 pieces. You had to fit and weld it together yourself. The X portion is literally two 90 degree bends that are siamesed together in the middle. Then you have some straight pipe sections coming off all 4 corners...this is where you determine how wide the inlet and outlet are going to be (as in wide in the front to meet up with the headers, narrower in the back for the muffler flow tubes). Then you have for 45 degree bends on the ends to finish it up. Then once you have all that how you like it, weld on your ball/flange ends if that's what you're using and you're all set. It really helps if you have another one to use as a guide...my buddy used my Dr. Gas as a guide for his.

Well I was hoping the width and position of the front section on my shorty x pipe would be similar to the long tubes so all I would have to do is cut it to length and weld the flanges back on. But I know **** never goes as easy as it sounds like it should.

i have an o/r h, if you want a cheap throw it together 2.5" deal you can have it. its a bbk h, used to be catted till my ***** pig and his boys got ahold of it and cut the cats out for scrap and welded over the holes lol. they'll prolly work though why not try em?