Soon to be first SN95 owner, quick question

BamaZ28

Sep 15, 2003
Scott AFB, IL
Greetings~

I am normally a GM fan, but really have come to love all muscle(ish) cars over the years. We are picking up a 94GT this weekend, purchasing from my step-dad. I've been trolling this site and stangnet all day. Just wondering if there are any infamous mechanical issues with this year. I am aware the 94-95 5.0L are known as the slowest of the Mustangs, but we aren't buying it for speed. It's a 'vert and we are looking forward to cruising this summer. The car is a stock 94GT with just over 100K miles on it. It's an auto, with factory 3.73 gears in it. I'm excited about this because I can skip that mod, and move onto others.

The only issue it ever had was the harmonic balancer separated from the balancer pulley. Apparently, when this happened it also shorted out a battery ground near that area, and killed the car within a mile of breaking. The car was towed, and the balancer was replaced.

Me and the wife also own a 1987 Pontiac Trans Am GTA, 350TPI, mostly stock. We are gonna store it for a few years though, and enjoy the Mustang since the Mustang is good to go :)

Really looking forward to being part of the community!

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Greetings~

I am normally a GM fan, but really have come to love all muscle(ish) cars over the years. We are picking up a 94GT this weekend, purchasing from my step-dad. I've been trolling this site and stangnet all day. Just wondering if there are any infamous mechanical issues with this year. I am aware the 94-95 5.0L are known as the slowest of the Mustangs, but we aren't buying it for speed. It's a 'vert and we are looking forward to cruising this summer. The car is a stock 94GT with just over 100K miles on it. It's an auto, with factory 3.73 gears in it. I'm excited about this because I can skip that mod, and move onto others.

The only issue it ever had was the harmonic balancer separated from the balancer pulley. Apparently, when this happened it also shorted out a battery ground near that area, and killed the car within a mile of breaking. The car was towed, and the balancer was replaced.

Me and the wife also own a 1987 Pontiac Trans Am GTA, 350TPI, mostly stock. We are gonna store it for a few years though, and enjoy the Mustang since the Mustang is good to go :)

Really looking forward to being part of the community!

Thanks

Welcome Bama.....hope you stick around....the only thing I was going to mention is the HB, but looks like you got that straight........my aode came stock with 3:27's...:shrug: we maybe slow at the start, but we can fix that.....can't fix ugly...:rlaugh:.......post up some pics of both Stang and GTA....

While it is true that the 94-95 Mustangs are the slowest Mustangs, that's mainly due to the chassis being heavier than the Fox bodies. The drivetrain is nearly identical. That being said, the 3.73's have definitely helped make up that difference.

I wasn't aware that any 94-95 Mustang came stock with 3.73's, I thought 3.27's were the highest that Mustangs got from the factory. You may want to verify that your speedometer is accurate. If you have a GPS unit, you can compare the speed it reports against the speedometer. They should be very close.

94-95 > 96-98 NPI cars. I used to rape my friend's 97 GT with my bone stock 95.

Aside from that, the balancer which you already know likes to have issues, as well as the vacuum lines getting dried out and cracking (particularly the one along the firewall that causes the HVAC to blow at the windshield), door window motor bushings, and control arm bushings. Typical Fox/Fox4 Mustang stuff. Welcome to 94-95land though! :D Post up some pics when you get some. :nice:

the distributors are known to bad too. i was also raised a bow tie guy. and when i got my 95 GT, I also looked at a 95 formula firebird (350, 6-speed). obviously I chose the GT. I've ran into the probs already stated: HB, Dizzy, Defroster vents (vac. line). welcome