sorry guys last camshaft question...

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by 1973mach1, Dec 13, 2003.

1. 1973mach1

1973mach1 New Member

Specifications:
    * Advertised duration: 270 intake/270 exhaust
    * Duration at .050 in. cam lift: 224 intake/224 exhaust
    * Gross valve lift: .519 in. intake/.519 in. exhaust
    * Lobe separation: 110 degrees
    * RPM range: 1,800 to 5,800
    * Mild rough

Is this too wild for the stock 351c 2v with stock springs and FMX tranny with stock stall?

Thanks,
    Jim
  2. SL 1993 R

SL 1993 R Founding Member

make sure you change out your springs with your new cam.. that one would sound lumpy... the Clevelands respond nicely to a split duration, favoring the exhaust..
  3. D.Hearne

D.Hearne Banned

I just looked up the stock spring specs on the 2bbl Cleveland and they're a little weak for that kind of cam, even when new, yours aren't I'm sure. Better upgrade your springs. Get a spark plug adapter to connect an air hose and a spring compressor and change the springs without pulling the heads. Do this AFTER the cam break-in though. Those old weak 2 bbl springs will be easier on the cam during break-in.
  4. 1973mach1

1973mach1 New Member

Is it tough to change the valve springs without taking the heads off for a beginner? Whats the air hose do? I do have a valve spring compressor and air hose.

Thanks
    Jim
  5. brads91

brads91 New Member

The air hose pressurizes the combustion chamber so that the valve doesnt fall when you remove the springs.
  6. D.Hearne

D.Hearne Banned

It's not a difficult or complicated job, even for a beginner. Go to your favorite local auto machinst and ask them to show you how to install the locks and retainers, so you'll at least know how to do it right. It'll take a couple extra hours at the longest to swap the springs in addition to the cam.
  7. Zooted_plus

Zooted_plus New Member

might want to hook up a regulator to your spark plug adapter, when I changed my springs anything over 30 psi wanted to turn the motor over.
  8. 1973mach1

1973mach1 New Member

you guys think a garage would kill me in price if I took it to them to change the springs without pulling the heads?

Thanks,
    Jim
  9. D.Hearne

D.Hearne Banned

Yes, they would. They'd end up pulling the heads, after "accidentally" dropping a valve. :rlaugh: :rlaugh: or more likely two valves :rlaugh: one from each head :lol: :lol: